Woodstock Fireview Leaking?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Jul 28, 2008
Piedmont NC
Good Morning,

I replaced the gaskets in my 6 - year old Woodstock Fireview this past summer and am wondering if the door is closing completely now. Is the dollar bill test the best one to do or is there another test or perhaps a digital monitor to quantify how much gas is leaking out of the stove at any given time?

Thank you

Jim

Are you worried that carbon monoxide is leaking out when you refer to "gas?" A good HVAC guy will have a "sniffer" that can qualify and quantify any leaks around the door. Are you getting a smell? The stove should be pulling air in when leaking but in the right circumstances I suppose it could leak out. Is the flu clean? CAT clean?

Are you worried that carbon monoxide is leaking out when you refer to "gas?" A good HVAC guy will have a "sniffer" that can qualify and quantify any leaks around the door. Are you getting a smell? The stove should be pulling air in when leaking but in the right circumstances I suppose it could leak out. Is the flu clean? CAT clean?

Yes sir I am worried about carbon monoxide and anything else. I am getting a smell, especially near the door. I have heard that it will push out and not pull in when the damper needs to be opened. The flu is clean and the CAT is less than 1 year old. I will clean it this weekend though.

Thanks for the advice.

I've smelled faint smoke odor near the door on the Fireviews, but nowhere near enough to smell anywhere else in the room. You can adjust the door latch to pass the dollar bill test. I don't buy farm store/stove shop aftermarket gasketing any more...strictly OEM gaskets go in my stoves now. They are the correct densities for the applications. Have you got a liner in a masonry chimney, or class A chimney through the roof? How tall is it? If you have good draft, leaks into the room shouldn't be a problem; If anything, air will be sucked into the stove.

Yes sir I am worried about carbon monoxide and anything else. I am getting a smell, especially near the door. I have heard that it will push out and not pull in when the damper needs to be opened. The flu is clean and the CAT is less than 1 year old. I will clean it this weekend though.

Thanks for the advice.

Given your concerns, I'd head down to my local hardware store (or to Amazon) and get a good CO detector ASAP.

IMO it should be required equipment anytime you have a wood or gas burning appliance inside the home.

Thanks for all of the replies. I've got a great 14' SS chimney running through mostly house and attic so the draft is excellent. I've got a co detector but think I might get one that has a digital readout. I've got OEM gasketing from Woodstock.
Now that the gasket has been installed since the summer I will check it again with the dollar bill test.

Best Regards,

Reactions: Tenn Dave
Status
Not open for further replies.