Woodstock Fireview vs Classic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 3, 2008
Western Mass
According to their website and catalog, the Fireview has an emissions rating of 1.3 gr/hr and the Classic 3.5 gr/hr. I thought they were identical stoves except for the glass? Why such a difference in emissions? Also, I saw a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np71Xpojs_Q) of a Classic, and the loading door on the side appears to have glass in it. I can't find any info on the website about this option. No longer available? Custom made?

There are differences between the Fireview and Classic like the baffle design, where the catalyst is located, and where the combustion air intake is located. I think the Fireview use to be similar to the Classic some years ago, and then they came out with the new model 205 Fireview that is sold today.

I saw that video before and was wondering the same thing. Give Woodstock a call, maybe thats a special option?

Jon, welcome to the forum. If you are considering purchasing one of these stoves, I'd highly recommend the Fireview. We too had considered the Classic but I'm very happy we didn't get it. With the Fireview, you can tell at a glance what is in the firebox. Not so with the Classic. You have to open the door. Not a really big thing, but nice. For instance, in cold weather we notice it getting cooler and most times we can just open the draft a bit rather than put more wood in.

For example: The Fireview draft control has 4 numbers, naturally, 1 thru 4. Put load of wood in and have the draft at 4. Very quickly though we drop it down to 2 and finally to one. Then the cat. is engaged and the draft is normally set at 1/2 unless there is only a partial load of wood when we will sometimes set it at 1.

With the Classic, it seems to me that you are playing a guessing game. With the Fireview, you just look through the glass. And it is very nice to be able to sit there and watch that flame on a cold winter night.

What is it with Woodstock stove guys and their Stihl Ms 290's? :lol:

They go together like bread and butter. ;-)

I have the Keystone and 2 Stihl chain saws. My only problem is that the weather is getting warmer and I can't build a fire each morning. Given the VC problems I am happy that I got the Woodstock. It is great calling the factory and you can talk to the guy building the stove. I going to be picking up another one to go with my second Stihl to heat the new addition to the house.

Waiting for the weather to get warm enough to melt the snow enough so I can move around in the woods and start pulling out wood again. Two Woodstocks and two Stihls?? Wow! That's living! :coolsmile:

I would NOT buy a woodstove without a window. I stare at the fire about as much as I stare at the TV, couldn't imagine a blank stove.

got a letter in the mail from those guys end of season clerance going on now till april 12th keystone is$ 2079 and fireview is $ 2219 nock of $75 if u pick up at factory.shipping ranges from $125 to $200 depending where u are and that includes any chimney kits .oh ya also the palladian is $1999.

Owning a woodstock classic without a fireview window would be like having a car with no windshield.
In my house, I would no more consider a windowless stove than an outhouse.
That is one of the great benefits of the modern materials, the glass is safe, the fire is beautiful and the heat is what makes us tick.
Good luck with your choice.
PS: two stihl saws, 028 and 031.

Status
Not open for further replies.