Woodstock Keystone bottom heatshield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmcfall

Feeling the Heat
Nov 28, 2005
The Keystone has a bottom heatshield that doesn't look so great, at least in my opinion. It isn't painted black, so it is pretty noticeable. I have actually taken mine off since I don't need it due to the thickness of my hearth. However, I am wondering whether I am losing some heat from the stove by the heat being absorbed by my brick hearth?

I doubt that's much of an issue. However, when you remove the ash tray to empty it, ash can fall directly on your hearth instead of getting caught by the heat shield for whatever that's worth.

Depending on the material used on the hearth, you may actually benefit more... Your hearth may be acting like a masonry heater by radiating the heat out into the room. Like JPL, I don;t think it's a negative thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.