Woodstock Metallic Paint vs Enamel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlame

Jan 12, 2006
I am researching stoves once again since we are in the process of planning an addition to our home.

I requested some literature from Woodstock about their soapstone wood stoves. I did not receive any paint chips in the package as I thought I would. I plan to give them a call to see if this was an oversight. In the meantime, I am curious what the opinions are of the Woodstock metallic paints (brown, blue, gray). How is the durability of this paint? I swore I'd never buy a non-enameled stove but Woodstock has a very compelling product; it is a shame they do not offer enamel finish.

If anybody has close up pictures of their Woodstock stove with either blue, gray, or brown paint it would be good to see it up close.

In my experience, paint holds up well on those particular stoves because the soapstone and the mass makes it so that the castings do not have really hot spots...and those hot spots are what usually makes paint dull.

But I'll let some WS owners chime in on this.....

One word also on the Woodstock. Their brown looks gray to us! The blue stove in their brochure is the one I speak of. Maybe I'll try to post some picture for you later or send me a PM or email and I'll email some to you if you wish.

Those we spoke to that have had a Woodstock stove for a long time have never had a problem with their paint.

I think that a gloss enamel finish would not go as well with the flat natural finish of the soapstone and suspect that is why it is not offered.

The paint is quite simple - it is a flat finish that you can spray from a can. They can even provide you some if you wanted to color match your stovepipe. I'm really not sure how you would ever damage such a finish other than severely scraping or banging it to expose raw metal underneath. I think it's also fairly hard to damage enamel, but when you do, it's a lot harder to cover up the damage.

We have the "charcoal" color which is a black/grey that I think complements the blue-grey color of the soapstone. I also liked the black finish when looking at them in the store.

PM me with an e-mail and I can send you an 8 megapixel image of our install that is also posted on my profile. It's been used in a lot of their catalog / promotional literature recently.

-Colin

I can see why they would use that picture in your profile. It looks like it came right out of a brochure. That's a beautiful setup you have.

Here are some pictures of my Keystone with brown. I painted the stove pipe with their paint to match.

Attachments

• 000_0436.JPG
    000_0436.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 221
  • 000_0537.jpg
    000_0537.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 224
Status
Not open for further replies.