Woodstock Progress Hybrid Configuration & controls design

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mliiiwit

Jan 4, 2012
Southern KS
My PH shipped 2/9/12 and I have noticed at least one difference in it from others in some videos. My top stone is 3 separate pieces. This really does not matter to me and I assume it's easier to install and remove the top this way. But I'm just curious if every production PH has the same top configuration.

Another difference I've noted is in comparison to the Fireview. This is that the draft control on the PH is just a bent piece of square steel rod with a PLASTIC handle, with reference only to horizontal and vertical, while the Fireview has a cast iron handle with setting reference numbers on the adjacent housing. All of which make the control on the PH seem a step down in quality and "quaintness"(?) in comparison. It also simply does not feel as solid or durable as the FV draft control. Now, my comparison is from memory of my parent's FV which I admittedly have not operated too much, but I believe I am correct on the differences. Also, my PH arrived with the draft control rotated pointing down (full open), so I first assumed the manual was in error on the operation. But during my first burn it rotated past horizontal full closed into handle UP for full open, which agrees with the manual. Has anyone else experienced this? What do any of you other PH owners think of the draft controls?

Please don't take my post the wrong way - I am ecstatic with the PH overall and have no qualms with Woodstock over what I received for the price and customer service. But in all honesty, I am a bit disappointed with the draft control as the square rod and plastic insulator handle are completely out of character with cast iron & soapstone. And I suspect that WS wants ALL of our feedback in determining the ultimate production configuration. Sitting here looking at it, I guess the door handle and bypass control also are a bit out of character. But, get to thinking about it, I guess the bypass control is also out of character on the FV but it is also somewhat hidden on the back of the stove. I definitely prefer the PH door handle over the FV door handle and I absolutely prefer the (under-the-hood) cam action door latch of the PH. But I feel the door handle and bypass control could have been a little better matched to the style of the rest of the stove. What do you all think? Could Woodstock have given the controls and the door handle a bit more thought on the PH? I personally feel that cast parts, ornate or plain (probably plain on the draft control on the back and ornate for the bypass control on the front), would have blended much better with the rest of the stove.

I guess I can summarize my preferences as that I'd prefer my PH to appear 100% original "model T" with visibly hidden technology to make it perform like a Kenworth Prius (which it does). I'll gladly compromise the former for the latter, but I'd prefer to have both.

roundoak16 said:
My PH shipped 2/9/12 and I have noticed at least one difference in it from others in some videos. My top stone is 3 separate pieces. This really does not matter to me and I assume it's easier to install and remove the top this way. But I'm just curious if every production PH has the same top configuration.

Received mine on 1/31. Single piece top. Unfortunately due to shipping damage there is chipping of the soapstone around the brass nameplate/handle.
The replacement will be a three piece top which is apparantly now standard. There were some early issues with the single piece cracking so they went to the three piece design. The single piece tops that are out there needed to be specially selected stone to not crack and there was an issue with getting enough supply of that stone.

Interesting about the new three piece top.

Not sure I understand what you're saying about the position of the draft control. All the way up is full open. 90 degrees down from open (horizontal) is full closed. When my dad got his, you could actually rotate the level past full closed all the way down to vertical again. Once you rotated past full closed, it would begin opening the draft again. This stopped happening after burning.

This is the first I have heard of the three piece top. Pictures? :)

My draft control makes a horrible noise when opening it and sort of gets stuck and needs to be forced open. I had hoped that it would get better with time but it hasn't. The rear heat shield also bends out while opening the draft. Any one else had this issue?

My draft control makes a horrible noise when opening it and sort of gets stuck and needs to be forced open. I had hoped that it would get better with time but it hasn’t. The rear heat shield also bends out while opening the draft. Any one else had this issue?

My draft control is silent. But, my dads was pretty load. I don't know if it still is. I'm doing there tonight to build him a fire since he is out of town so I guess I'll find out.

My rear heat shield does move a bit with the draft lever. I think they fixed this in later models because my dad's heat shield has tabs on the bottom that lock it in place which mine doesn't have.

Waulie said:
My draft control makes a horrible noise when opening it and sort of gets stuck and needs to be forced open. I had hoped that it would get better with time but it hasn’t. The rear heat shield also bends out while opening the draft. Any one else had this issue?

My draft control is silent. But, my dads was pretty load. I don't know if it still is. I'm doing there tonight to build him a fire since he is out of town so I guess I'll find out.

My rear heat shield does move a bit with the draft lever. I think they fixed this in later models because my dad's heat shield has tabs on the bottom that lock it in place which mine doesn't have.

My heat shield has the tabs on the bottom too. It is the top the bends out. I am curious to see if his still does make noise or not. Does it also get "stuck" and need a little extra force?

I was thinking about pulling the shield off and trying to grease it up or something but it is installed in a fireplace and the back is hard to get to. And I don't really feel like pulling the stove out. ;-)

Waulie said:
Interesting about the new three piece top.

Not sure I understand what you're saying about the position of the draft control. All the way up is full open. 90 degrees down from open (horizontal) is full closed. When my dad got his, you could actually rotate the level past full closed all the way down to vertical again. Once you rotated past full closed, it would begin opening the draft again. This stopped happening after burning.

You explain it better than I did. Mine was exactly like your dad's except it was pointing straight down and I assumed it was supposed to be operated in teh "three to six" o'clock arc. I didn't realize it could be rotated more than 90 degrees until it popped past full closed into the "noon to three" arc.

3fordasho said:
roundoak16 said:

Received mine on 1/31. Single piece top. Unfortunately due to shipping damage there is chipping of the soapstone around the brass nameplate/handle.
The replacement will be a three piece top which is apparantly now standard. There were some early issues with the single piece cracking so they went to the three piece design. The single piece tops that are out there needed to be specially selected stone to not crack and there was an issue with getting enough supply of that stone.

The short lens for the DSLR can't be focused and we can't get close ups with the long (telephoto?) lens. Just looking at the 3 piece, I'm guessing the middle slab is about 1 foot wide and the side slabs are equal width making up the difference. The adjoining edges of the slabs are cut at a 45 degree angle with the cut facing up on both side slabs and the cut facing down on both edges of the middle slab. The side slabs have a dado cut the length of the 45 degree cut and have gasket (cemented, I assume) in the dado. Both side slabs are set in place first and then the middle slab is laid in. Other than that, I have to assume it is no different from the single piece top. The middle slab has the medallion handle bolted to it at the front.

Nater said:
My heat shield has the tabs on the bottom too. It is the top the bends out. I am curious to see if his still does make noise or not. Does it also get "stuck" and need a little extra force?

I was thinking about pulling the shield off and trying to grease it up or something but it is installed in a fireplace and the back is hard to get to. And I don't really feel like pulling the stove out. ;-)

My rear shield is the same and also is pushed out a bit by the draft control. I wonder if the rear clearance tests would have to be repeated if they made the "U" shaped notch for the draft handle just a bit bigger. I can't think of any other reason this wouldn't have already been incorporated into the shield manufacture.

My dad's previously loud draft control is now completely silent! I know he hasn't done anything to it, but that metal on metal sound he had originally is gone.

As it has been asked a few times, here is a peek at the new Progress stove top. I've just posted the one picture, with it all together. They are still working on this and the final might be just a tad different but it all sounds pretty good so far. I was concerned at first thinking the top would not be flat but it looks good. It will mean just a tad difference when removing the cat but doesn't sound bad at all.

As for the draft control, that is one of the first things we talked about at the Woodstock Open House. This is one more item in the process of improving. As for the firebox door handle, I really thought that was excellent the first time I saw it.

Progresstop.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.