Woodstock Progress Hybrid Video

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I don’t charge things. I’d rather spend a little more later than a lot more on interest rates.

I with you on that! Maybe you could send a check? I use my card for convenience when needed and just pay it each month. I won't allow those companies to get rich off me.

Waulie said:
Sorry, I don’t charge things. I’d rather spend a little more later than a lot more on interest rates.

I with you on that! Maybe you could send a check? I use my card for convenience when needed and just pay it each month. I won't allow those companies to get rich off me.

As long as they promise to not cash the check until next August, I'll write them as many checks as they want! :lol:

BrowningBAR said:
Waulie said:

As long as they promise to not cash the check until next August, I'll write them as many checks as they want! :lol:

Maybe they have a lay away program?

Todd said:
BrowningBAR said:
Waulie said:

Maybe they have a lay away program?

I'll see if there is a way for me to lock in the price and stretch it out longer than the March 2012 that they have listed on their form.

BrowningBAR said:
Waulie said:
I’m already thinking about that. I need to call and see how payment works. I did not budget buying a new stove within the next 6 month. It’s a little different than throwing down a few bucks on a good deal on CraigsList. The original plan was to squirrel away money on a monthly basis until next August for a new stove.

They take all major credit cards, and the deposit is 100% refundable should you change your mind! At least, that's what they told me.

Sorry, I don't charge things. I'd rather spend a little more later than a lot more on interest rates.

Let it be known that you can charge things on your credit card and still not have to pay interest. I have a card that we've had for probably 25 years and have never paid interest and we use that card a lot. No, I don't like debt either and it really gets my goat when I see businesses advertising to sell something for so much down and so much per month. Just tell me what the danged thing costs and leave the figuring to me.

I have a dumbish question about the new stove. Assuming you order it with no legs ("Plinth base"), how the heck do you move this beast into it's final resting spot? It rests directly on its frame, no air space under it. You cannot get a dolly or your fingers under it to guide it. Just asking?!?! :eek:hh:

fire_man said:
I have a dumbish question about the new stove. Assuming you order it with no legs ("Plinth base"), how the heck do you move this beast into it's final resting spot? It rests directly on its frame, no air space under it. You cannot get a dolly or your fingers under it to guide it. Just asking?!?! :eek:hh:

Tilt, corner, corner, tilt, corner, corner.

Just put something under it to move it. A sheet of metal for it to slide on should make it go in pretty easy.

Tony, it sounds like a piano dolly would work fine.

From what you know about this new stove, is it expected to produce more heat than the Jotul F 600, less, or about the same? It sounds like the firebox is slightly smaller on the Woodstock (2.7 cubic feet vs. 3.2 for the Jotul) but the BTUs sound about the same (around 80,000 max). Perhaps the Woodstock acheives this by better efficiency? I have a pretty large space to heat (2800-3600 square feet, depending on which rooms I close off); just wondering which would be better. I am considering modifying my hearth for the Jotul, so this would be the perfect opportunity for me to get this stove since I can change the plans on the hearth to accomodate this one to fit perfectly. This one also costs a bit less and includes soapstone, which is nice. The Mansfield would cost a lot more. I understand this stove won't be available until Halloween at the earliest. Another question--would any dealers install this for a fee, even though Woodstock sells stoves directly? I would not do it myself. I live in Maryland near Washington, D.C. Thoughts appreciated--thanks.

Pretty much no stove has as much usable space in the firebox as the mfr spec for firebox volume states. Apparently the mfrs like to include inaccessible air space. . .so you can count on the F600 holding 3.2 cu ft of air. I don't know if anyone here has posted measurements for an F600 firebox. . .you could post a thread asking for F600 measurements. Also unknown is whether the "2.7" from Woodstock is the official spec or a ballpark number for real world usable space. Which stove to get? Well, I'd get the Woodstock, but I'm biased. :) The F600 is supposed to be a pretty good heater. Jotul has been having some problems with their enamel finish recently, so I would not get an enameled F600 at this time. Regarding installation, most shops probably would not want to do it, but might if you bought the chimney from them. Your best bet would be an independant chimney sweep, which is how one shop in my town handles installs.

Regarding efficiency, yes, Woodstock seems to be trying to set a record, but we don't have any numbers yet. The stove is going through final testing now. . .should hear something in a few weeks. Maybe it will be 10% more efficient than the Jotul, but maybe it holds 10% less wood, so peak output would then be the same, but the Woodstock would get it done with less fuel. When you don't need maximum heat, the Woodstock should do a low burn much longer than the Jotul. (We're hearing 12-16 hours. The catalyst allows you to turn the air way down and still get a clean burn.) While we're waiting for test results, maybe you can get Woodstock to tell you the firebox dimensions. Calculating the volume will be a lil' tricky though, as the ceiling of the firebox is sloped.

Note in their blog that the lame Progress name is temporary. They are open to suggestions still. The blog shows a nice low/medium burn but nothing really low. Hopefully this stove isn't burdened with a hot low setting like the typical non-cat.

I'm assuming it can be turned down fairly low if they are expecting 12 - 16 hr burns with this. I'm sure they have it figured out.

I think I am leaning towards getting this new Woodstock stove. The timing is perfect for me--I can have the modificed hearth built and ready by the end of October just in time for the arrival of the new stove in early November.

Excellent choice, Sir! You are clearly a man of impeccable taste and timing. Some folks have been salivating over this stove for a few years now. If you want to be ready to roll when the stoves arrives, you should start planning the chimney as well as the hearth mods. What are you doing for wood?

Thanks. I have been planning this for awhile so I have about five cords of wood cut, split, stacked and covered in my yard. I was worried I might not have enough, but since I won't start burning until mid-November I think I will be okay. Plus this new stove seems pretty efficient so i may only burn 3 or 4 cords this year.

By the way, I like your picture. Now that's what I call a "Cat" stove.

teutonicking said:
From what you know about this new stove, is it expected to produce more heat than the Jotul F 600, less, or about the same? It sounds like the firebox is slightly smaller on the Woodstock (2.7 cubic feet vs. 3.2 for the Jotul) but the BTUs sound about the same (around 80,000 max). Perhaps the Woodstock acheives this by better efficiency? I have a pretty large space to heat (2800-3600 square feet, depending on which rooms I close off); just wondering which would be better. I am considering modifying my hearth for the Jotul, so this would be the perfect opportunity for me to get this stove since I can change the plans on the hearth to accomodate this one to fit perfectly. This one also costs a bit less and includes soapstone, which is nice. The Mansfield would cost a lot more. I understand this stove won't be available until Halloween at the earliest. Another question--would any dealers install this for a fee, even though Woodstock sells stoves directly? I would not do it myself. I live in Maryland near Washington, D.C. Thoughts appreciated--thanks.

You can be served well with the installation by a sweep but you can also be served well by a carpenter. So long as they know clearances and height of stove, etc. they should be able to do it with no problem. No matter what, I would have them go a bit beyond code. Code says 2", why not go 3" or 4"? Does no harm and gives you a bit more peace of mind.

You do indeed have a large space to be heated. I hope you have read about the small fan trick of blowing cool air into the stove room. It works much better than blowing warm air.

teutonicking said:
Thanks. I have been planning this for awhile so I have about five cords of wood cut, split, stacked and covered in my yard. I was worried I might not have enough, but since I won't start burning until mid-November I think I will be okay. Plus this new stove seems pretty efficient so i may only burn 3 or 4 cords this year.

By the way, I like your picture. Now that's what I call a "Cat" stove.

Great that you have the wood already. Just a little kicker here. When we bought the Fireview we reduced our wood needs by half. Most don't get quite that much but we surely have and we stay a whole lot warmer too. I would expect the same for the big stove. And don't forget, Woodstock has the best guarantee!

I agree. Those are some fantastic prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.