1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Woodstock Progress Hybrid Installation Pictures

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Tenn Dave, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Tenn Dave

Tenn Dave Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE Tennessee and New Jersey Shore
    Thanks Woody - I can't wait until fall gets here.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Tenn Dave

Loc:
    Thanks Dafattkidd - you are very kind to say that.
  3. Oldhippie

Oldhippie Minister of Fire

You'll have a great winter! Hope you have some seasoned wood. Chance are you did some clearing to build the house?

Stick around and and enjoy the great group we have here.
    charly and Tenn Dave like this.
  4. Tenn Dave

Loc:
    Hi Oldhippie,
    I already love this group and plan on being around for a long time. I have learned a good deal from you pros.
    Yes, I have about 4 cords of 3 year old oak and hichory that was cleared from my building site. This winter I will start to build up a 3 or 4 year supply. There are so many blow downs on my 50 acres that I will probably never have to kill a tree. :)
    Backwoods Savage and Oldhippie like this.
  5. charly

charly Guest

Measuring my top stones that are still wrapped up,, look to be 3/4 of an inch.. Why? What's you up to? ;lol
  6. fox9988

fox9988 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Arkansas
    There are so many blow downs on my 50 acres that I will probably never have to kill a tree. :)[/quote]

I have 10 acres that is maybe 50% woods. I've cut off it for 13 years and haven't cut a tree yet that was alive unless it needed to go. A lot of white oaks died last year after two summers of extreme drought. Plenty of dead standing to last me for years. You'll have plenty.
    Tenn Dave likes this.
  7. Tenn Dave

Loc:

Hi Fox9988,
    Most all of my acres are hardwood forest (oak & hickory) except for my building site and my mile long driveway. I believe my portion of the mountain, which is part of the Cumberland Plateau, was logged sometime in the mid 1900's, so the trees are all pretty big now. We get a lot of violent thunder storms with high winds that do blow down some big trees on occasion. I figure it will take the rest of my lifetime just to clear the standing dead and blow downs that exist today. I feel blessed to be in this position.
  8. lumbering on

lumbering on Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    New York
    Awesome install!
    Tenn Dave likes this.
  9. Tenn Dave

Loc:
    thanks Lumbering on
  10. lumbering on

lumbering on Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    New York
    The stone hearth compliments the stove nicely. One of the nicest combos I've seen.

What's the hearth pad made of?
    Tenn Dave likes this.
  11. Tenn Dave

Loc:
    Thanks.
    The stone wall behind the stove is a local Tennessee stacking stone. It took me a while to find the exact color I was looking for. The hearth pad was purchased from Woodstock. I had it placed on the subfloor in a layer of thinset, and the hardwood floor installed around it. The floor supports in the crawl space, under the stove and stone wall, are right on bedrock. I had them beefed up to handle all the weight.
  12. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    Awesome looking install.
    Tenn Dave likes this.
  13. Tenn Dave

Loc:
    Thanks gmule
  14. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Nice photos! First thought is your pet deer is going to be nice and toasty, but his rump will be cold.
    Tenn Dave likes this.
  15. Tenn Dave

Loc:
    Not to worry Joful - his rump made a great roast.............:)
    Joful likes this.
  16. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Lol, not up to anything, just curious. I thought that 700 lb beast would have a lot of thick stone but maybe most of the weight is from the cast and steel? Maybe the side stones are thicker?
    charly likes this.
  17. Tenn Dave

Loc:
    Hi Todd,
    I believe the stove has a double layer of soapstone on all surfaces except the top. On top it has a layer of soapstone and the cast iron cook top. Not sure how thick the side stones are, but I can tell you that puppy is one heavy mama. It took 4 big Tenn farm boys to move mine into place. And they are still walking funny...:eek:
    Backwoods Savage, Joful and charly like this.
  18. charly

charly Guest

Just joking with ya ;).. I think Tenn Dave has it right with doubled up stone, etc. Sure doesn't look that heavy when you look at the stove.. I'm betting on the wife and I getting up my wooden ramp onto my 6 inch high hearth.. It's sitting on a dolly right now.. When I was at Woodstock, I went over to a crated PH and made sure I could lift one side of the stove and crate off the ground.. Since I could do that,, I knew then that the wife could shim the crate later on so I could get the dolly out and set it down on it's own crate once in place... Otherwise I need a bunch of man power... This way I can take my time and get her set just right, plumb my stove pipe, stove square onto the hearth.. Am I too fussy?:rolleyes:
    Tenn Dave likes this.
  19. TheBean

TheBean Member

Loc:
    Upper Valley NH
    Very nice install. Would make a great addition to our Owners Photo Gallery! Send us some pics if you like. The Progress, like all of our wood stoves, has two layers of soapstone. The interior stones are about 1 1/8" thick and the exterior stones are 3/4" thick. All that mass delivers soul soothing warmth on those chilly days and nights!
  20. Tenn Dave

Loc:
    Hi Charly
    Slow and steady is the way to go. Just don't let the stove get away from you. Once you start moving her up or downhill, there is no going back until you reach flat ground. You did a great job with removing the Fireview - the Progess should be a piece of cake. Be safe.
    charly likes this.
  21. charly

charly Guest

When building my ramp, I made sure I built a flat staging area at the top so once off the Hearth or anytime entering the ramp , you can stop and rest the stove before going on or off the ramp.. I was glad I did when taking off the Fireview..Let you get yourself positioned for the ride down the ramp.. My goal was no damage to the hearth or either stoves.. I'll lay 3/4 ply pieces on my hearth as well for my dolly wheels.. Then shim the crate and take everything out once I have the stove on the mark. It will be all worth it this winter;).. Want to do my break in fires soon as to leave the windows open while the stove is burning off the paint and cement odor.
    Backwoods Savage and Tenn Dave like this.
  22. Tenn Dave

Loc:
    Charly - it sounds like you have this all under control....
    charly likes this.
  23. Tenn Dave

Loc:
    Thanks
  24. Tenn Dave

Loc:
    Hi TheBean
    Thanks - I have already sent a few pictures to Lorin along with a question or two. Feel free to use them.
  25. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    I seem to remember the Fireview stones were 1-1/4" and 3/4", not certain. I wish I could remember where I saw that. I haven't been able to find it so far at woodstove.com. I'm also curious as to what the Keystone's are....

A couple of beefy nephews are coming into town next weekend. I'm not telling them in advance, but we're gonna have a little stove-movin' party to get the Fv over to their mom and dad's house. ::-)
    charly and Tenn Dave like this.