Woodstock Soapstone wood stove install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
I am really interested in the Woodstock Fireview stove and eventually I want to get one. I need to devise a way of installing it so I can remove the pipe for cleaning without having to move the stove. At 475 lbs. I don’t ever want to move it after placing it… Is this possible or am I asking too much? Is there some sort of slip pipe I could use? My current stovepipe arrangement goes up about 3’ then to a 45 and then 90’s into the chimney.. How is your stovepipe set up?

Ray

How is my stovepipe setup? Vertical, the way god intended. Straight out the top and up and up and up to the cap.

If I had a fireview (nice choice BTW) it would be as close to the same as possible but since the fireview dumps out the rear there would need to be a cleanout tee or a 90 and then up and up and up. Unless you are in an alcove then there is no good reason to move your stove, the telescoping pieces of pipe allow you to disassemble the pipe.

totally. Woodstock will hook you up with a slip pipe, for a reasonable fee.

I have about 5' of pipe including 2- 90's all screwed together and when it's time to sweep I disconnect from the stove and the crock and just slide it all out in one piece. The stove stays put.

Highbeam said:
How is my stovepipe setup? Vertical, the way god intended. Straight out the top and up and up and up to the cap.

If I had a fireview (nice choice BTW) it would be as close to the same as possible but since the fireview dumps out the rear there would need to be a cleanout tee or a 90 and then up and up and up. Unless you are in an alcove then there is no good reason to move your stove, the telescoping pieces of pipe allow you to disassemble the pipe.

I hear nothing but good things about this company so I am considering upgrading possibly next year to one of these stoves.. A slip pipe would be a definite plus for sure.. Thanx for your input..

Ray

Risser09 said:
totally. Woodstock will hook you up with a slip pipe, for a reasonable fee.

Woodstock sounds like a customer oriented company to me... Top of my list..

Ray

Todd said:
I have about 5' of pipe including 2- 90's all screwed together and when it's time to sweep I disconnect from the stove and the crock and just slide it all out in one piece. The stove stays put.

Thanx for the info Todd... Anything you can offer about Woodstock is appreciated!

Ray

The stove pipe collar is attached to the stove by 4 allen head screws. Undo those and as Todd says, you just remove the whole pipe section betwen the stove and the thimble. Slick as snot. Takes 2-3 mins to take apart, cleaning time, another 2-3 minutes to reassemble. No one wants to move one of those bad boys once they're in place. :ahhh:

Attachments

• 000_0894.jpg
    000_0894.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 788
Fireview exits out the rear.
I think the Keystone can do either.
Woodstock is great to work with. Just set my new Fireview on the new black granite hearth and I am working to connect the double wall stove pipe to the liner. Here is a picture of the work in progress.

Attachments

• DSCN1370.JPG
    DSCN1370.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 935
pinewoodburner said:
Fireview exits out the rear.
I think the Keystone can do either.
Woodstock is great to work with. Just set my new Fireview on the new black granite hearth and I am working to connect the double wall stove pipe to the liner. Here is a picture of the work in progress.

Fireview is what I am considering.. Odd how the one stove has a 7" flue size.. I like the top pipe system that was posted.. Your hearth looks sharp with all that polished granite...

Ray

I'd highly, highly recommend a Woodstock. Mine was my grandfather's which he purchased years ago but never burned. Their customer service department has answered all of my questions and they've gone above and beyond anything I could have hoped for. The stoves are beautiful - I think I'd rather have the new Fireview 205 like yours... that thing looks great and I'd love to see the fire... but looks like I'll be sticking with the Classic and seeing how I like it for now. You're right, though, they are a bear and a half to move. Took me three guys and a dolly and then a bunch of straps to set it on the hearth. The chimney is going in Sunday and I'll be doing the first burn. Best of luch with yours.

Thanks, Fireview has a 6" flue size and I am running double wall stove pipe for the close clearance and one piece is adjustible so the stove (heavy at 475 lbs) does not have to move.

Ray, you won't be disappointed in a Woodstock stove nor with the company. They are indeed customer orientated. They will bend over backwards to make certain you are satisfied. If not, ship the stove back to them, at their cost! What other company could make such an outlandish warranty?!!

btw, our pipe continues horizontally through the wall then up. If you go that route, be sure to put at least 1/4" rise per foot rather than installing the pipe level. We've had no problem with this setup.

You asked for, "Anything you can offer about Woodstock is appreciated!" I think you've read most of my posts about the Fireview but if there is anything specific you'd like to know, don't be afraid to PM me and I'll gladly answer questions.

WNW Pat, you'll like the classic. It actually give a little more heat than the Fireview!

When we put the Fireview up on the hearth, we put two 2 x 4's under the stove with two guys on one end and one ox on the other and lifted it up. Got into the house with a furniture dolly.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ray, you won't be disappointed in a Woodstock stove nor with the company. They are indeed customer orientated. They will bend over backwards to make certain you are satisfied. If not, ship the stove back to them, at their cost! What other company could make such an outlandish warranty?!!

btw, our pipe continues horizontally through the wall then up. If you go that route, be sure to put at least 1/4" rise per foot rather than installing the pipe level. We've had no problem with this setup.

You asked for, "Anything you can offer about Woodstock is appreciated!" I think you've read most of my posts about the Fireview but if there is anything specific you'd like to know, don't be afraid to PM me and I'll gladly answer questions.

WNW Pat, you'll like the classic. It actually give a little more heat than the Fireview!

When we put the Fireview up on the hearth, we put two 2 x 4's under the stove with two guys on one end and one ox on the other and lifted it up. Got into the house with a furniture dolly.

Hiya Dennis!

How are you doing these days?

Was wondering when you would chime in on this subject.. I really value all opinions by those who use these stoves.. I have never read anything negative about this company! To give a better idea of how my current stove is vented please see this post:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/15002/

To be honest this old stove still heats the house very well and I paid $600.00 over 20 years ago for it with all tools etc. included.. Three cords a year to heat 24/7 is pretty good but I am sure it would take even less with a Fireview stove.. My home is 1632 sq. ft. so it's a pretty close match.. Who knows maybe I will find one in Craigslist for short money.. A deal I can't refuse would be great!!

Thanx to all who have contributed to this post I have read all but have answered a few..

Ray

bokehman said:
Ray, if your stove will be rear exit maybe you could just stick a tee on the back, then you wouldn't have to take anything apart. Depends on rod length/flexibility though.

Hi Bokehman,
The pipe would definately have to come apart as my enters the chimney then takes a hard right plus my flue pipe is round and my liner is square..

Ray

Good luck finding a used Woodstock. I've seen a few on E-Bay but they always go fast and for quite a bit of money for a used stove. If you can wait til next year they usually have a spring sale of left overs and returns. And maybe you will be eligible for that new $300 fed tax rebate for 2009?

As far as piping a Fireview, you may want to try coming right off the rear at a left angle and then see if a couple 45's could eliminate those 90's.

Todd said:
Good luck finding a used Woodstock. I've seen a few on E-Bay but they always go fast and for quite a bit of money for a used stove. If you can wait til next year they usually have a spring sale of left overs and returns. And maybe you will be eligible for that new $300 fed tax rebate for 2009?

As far as piping a Fireview, you may want to try coming right off the rear at a left angle and then see if a couple 45's could eliminate those 90's.

Todd,
I think you misunderstood how my flue pipe is currently setup.. It goes from the stove straight up ~3' then to a 45 and then 90 directly into the chimney.. Really no other options due to chimney flue line location.. My current stove works fine this way.. I think the other 90 you're thinking of is where the round chimney tile 90's into the sq. chimney tile..

Ray

When you move the stove take the top off and the firebricks out. 65 to 70 LBS lighter.

raybonz said:
Todd said:

Todd,
I think you misunderstood how my flue pipe is currently setup.. It goes from the stove straight up ~3' then to a 45 and then 90 directly into the chimney.. Really no other options due to chimney flue line location.. My current stove works fine this way.. I think the other 90 you're thinking of is where the round chimney tile 90's into the sq. chimney tile..

Ray

I was just thinking if you go with a rear venting Woodstock you have a 90 on the rear exhuast, angle it to the left, then go up to your crock with another 90 or two 45's. It might make it a little easier to take apart and clean and eliminate that 45 bend. Just a thought, but you may not like the look.

Chief Ryan said:
When you move the stove take the top off and the firebricks out. 65 to 70 LBS lighter.

Exactly what we did before we lifted it up onto the hearth. Why lift more than needed?!

Todd said:
raybonz said:
Todd said:

Todd,

Ray

I was just thinking if you go with a rear venting Woodstock you have a 90 on the rear exhuast, angle it to the left, then go up to your crock with another 90 or two 45's. It might make it a little easier to take apart and clean and eliminate that 45 bend. Just a thought, but you may not like the look.

Todd,
I understand what you mean now. Do you think so many bends could create draft problems? Does this stove exhaust straight out the back or can you rotate a collar so it can go straight up? My CDW go up or straight out the back by reversing the collar(for lack of better words)..

Ray

raybonz said:
Todd said:
raybonz said:
Todd said:

Todd,

Ray

Todd,
I understand what you mean now. Do you think so many bends could create draft problems? Does this stove exhaust straight out the back or can you rotate a collar so it can go straight up? My CDW go up or straight out the back by reversing the collar(for lack of better words)..

Ray

It's straight out the back, no reversable exhaust collar. I was also worried about all the 90's and brought this up with Woodstock and others here when I was thinking of purchasing this stove. They say every 90 in a venting system reduces total height by 5' but you exclude the first 90 if it's a rear venting stove because it actually acts as part of the stove. My stove has the 90 on the rear, goes vertical 2', another 90, horizontal 1' to the crock, then one more 90 in the liner and up 22'. So if you subtract the 3 90's I come up with 22-15=7' total!! This is an outside chimney with full liner and the stove drafts excellent. Last year I installed a pipe damper to slow her down. So I'd say from my experience the 90 right off the stove does not effect the draft. In fact this is the 3rd stove vented to this chimney and it drafts best out of the others.

Todd said:
raybonz said:
Todd said:
raybonz said:
Todd said:

Todd,

Ray

Todd,

Ray

It's straight out the back, no reversable exhaust collar. I was also worried about all the 90's and brought this up with Woodstock and others here when I was thinking of purchasing this stove. They say every 90 in a venting system reduces total height by 5' but you exclude the first 90 if it's a rear venting stove because it actually acts as part of the stove. My stove has the 90 on the rear, goes vertical 2', another 90, horizontal 1' to the crock, then one more 90 in the liner and up 22'. So if you subtract the 3 90's I come up with 22-15=7' total!! This is an outside chimney with full liner and the stove drafts excellent. Last year I installed a pipe damper to slow her down. So I'd say from my experience the 90 right off the stove does not effect the draft. In fact this is the 3rd stove vented to this chimney and it drafts best out of the others.

Thanx for all the info!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.