Woodstock Soapstones--When to buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kansasplains

Feb 5, 2008
Central Kansas
Hello, I'm a newbie on here. I don't even burn wood--yet. I really like what I'm hearing about the Woodstock Soapstone stoves and we're probably going to get one before next winter. So here's my question. What time of year is the best time to buy from Woodstock? When do they usually give the best discounts, shipping rates, etc. They are running a sale right now that sounds pretty good, but I didn't know if the better deals show up in the hot of summer (or maybe in the fall)? This sale goes off Feb. 9 so if you could help me out before that I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Kansasplains

Not a bad price besides you will start saving wood and heating sooner just buy one now. "deals show up in the hot of summer (or maybe in the fall" not with stoves now and spring are saving time.

Last years Woodstock sale.

he Biggest Sales Event in 29 Years!
February 9th -24th, 2007
While Inventory lasts, You can Save $600 on All Full Size Stoves
and $400 On Our new Franklin Mini Gas Stove!

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/6545/#72874

I recently ordered a Keystone during their $500 off sale. I figure it is a fair price for a good product. They may offer an additional $100 (I don't know, though...), but the availability may fluctuate. For instance, when I was shopping a couple of weeks ago, the site indicated that Palladian stoves were only available in certain colors and to check for availability. We wanted a brown Keystone, and I figured to get it while I knew that I could.

Woodstock vets will probably chime in here in a bit; this is my reasoning. I am excited about getting my stove. Good luck shopping.

Darl Bundren said:
... They may offer an additional $100 (I don't know, though...), but the availability may fluctuate. For instance, when I was shopping a couple of weeks ago, the site indicated that Palladian stoves were only available in certain colors and to check for availability. We wanted a brown Keystone, and I figured to get it while I knew that I could. ...

If last year's sale is any indication the prices may drop by another hundred but that will probably only be good through the end of February. As Darl Bundren points out, availability may be an issue. I would be happy with virtually any neutral color but I'm not thrilled about the Fireview in blue and if you wait too long you may not be able to get the model you want at all, let alone in a color you don't like.

Additionally, aside from the reduced shipping it looks like they are also extending the 6 month money back guarantee until December 31, 2008. Which means that even if you don't get to burn it much this season you should still have plenty of time at the beginning of next season to see if you like it.

ETA - I did a quick search to see if there were any sales later in the season last year and I found this post:

6/6/07 Hearth Room thread re “Woodstock Scratch n Dent & Returns Sale” https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/8008/
Note, this included a link to a Craig’s Listing which is now dead. The author of this post, Burn-1, might be able to give you a better idea of whether it looked like this might turn into an annual event and whether it was for “pick up” only.

Or you could call and ask Woodstock.
~Cath

If you are looking for a real bargain you might ask them about returned units. I know they get very few, but with their 6 month return policy they do get some. Also, this is typically one of the big sale times (feb/march) - reason being that they know sales are tougher during the warm months, so they (and other stove companies) try to keep production going by moving stoves in Feb and March.

I used to think Woodstocks were expensive but I was WAY behind the times on what other stoves were selling for (still back in 1996 in my head!)......these days a WS seems to cost about the same as other premium brands.

This might be their best sale. If I were buying (again) I'd jump on it. As for colors, I'd also bet you could order any color. Good luck to you and you won't be sorry if you get one of those stoves.

Jeez, their prices are going down. Two years ago this month I bought my Fireview for $2419 and that included shipping. Now they are going for $2219. I'd jump on this sale.

Thanks for all your helpful info. It sounds like it probably doesn't get much better than this. Maybe I'll just break down and do it here in the next 2 days.

FYI, I talked to Woodstock yesterday, and they confirmed that because of a mailing problem, their current sale will continue through March 15. This includes $500 off the stove (at least most models), 10% off accessories, stovepipe, etc., big reduction in shipping including any extras ordered with your stove, and extension of the 6 month money-back guarantee until the end of December 2008. It does sound like a good sale to me. And, no, I'm not getting paid to advertise for them. :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.