Woodstove creates diesel exhaust-like off gas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

switepine

Feb 28, 2022
heJinx22
I have a older box stove in my jewelry production workshop and it has been fine until the last few days after burning for a while it creates a off gassing like smells faintly like diesel fumes which I am highly reactive to due to rarely triggered asthma. I have gone over it like a bloodhound and the only thing I can think of is 2” thick white insulation on garage doors about 10 feet away. But that makes no sense. I cannot work very long with out getting headache throat and eye discomfort. We seem plagued with woodstove issues this winter and kinda going crazy. Any thought. The smell is NOT coming from stove. Thanks!

I'm confused. The first sentence says the "off gassing" smell is coming from the stove. The last sentence says it is NOT.

Is there true stove pipe connecting the stove or is there galvanized duct being used? Stove pipe getting too hot?

I'm confused. The first sentence says the "off gassing" smell is coming from the stove. The last sentence says it is NOT.

Is there true stove pipe connecting the stove or is there galvanized duct being used? Stove pipe getting too hot?
I said “ it CREATES a “off gassing” like smells” just like a open gas flame interacting with fresh varnish like products. MEANING it is interacting with something in the studio. I also said IT IS OLDER box stove. It is not getting too hot. It’s is black duravent pipe NOT galvanized. Are you still confused? The stove has been cold for overnight and it is fresh as a daisy in the studio with NO fumes.
Google definition.
“So what is off-gassing, anyway? Super-simply, it's the airborne release of a chemical, a chemical in vapor form. Whenever you smell a product, it's off-gassing. It happens the most when a product is new.”

Last edited:
So you think the stove is causing the problem, but not the source of the problem. In that case any source of heat in the room should recreate the issue. Try some electric heaters to trace the problem.

FWIW, as long as every posting response is hostile, help will not be forthcoming. Good luck.

So you think the stove is causing the problem, but not the source of the problem. In that case any source of heat in the room should recreate the issue. Try some electric heaters to trace the problem.

FWIW, as long as every posting response is hostile, help will not be forthcoming. Good luck.
I get HOSTILE because nearly every response I have gotten here is condescending and flip because you are obviously too small of a person to respect people and assume a every person asking a question is a flatlander newly idiot. I clearly told you it was a older stove thus NO chemical paint smell stink and I DID point out IT WAS NOT THE STOVE! What was confusing? It’s not my first stove rodeo and I only ask these things hoping someone a bit smarter or one with similar experience can respectfully input. You and a couple others obviously have a boner for me so just don’t reply unless you may have a clue! Go swing your junk somewhere else just don’t hit a hot wood stove with the little guy ok! Btw. I am using electric heaters now. Did you think I was gonna start a fire on the floor?

We don't know what is there without asking questions. I have patiently tried to help you several times, but this apparently is not enough. Find another place to vent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.