Woodstove ... heating floor...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kregars

Jan 5, 2006
I was wondering if anyone had found any products out there that use the woodstove to heat a floor mass (think tiled floor with underlayment heating). If this has been posted already, please point me to the thread. I looked but was unable to locate anything referring to anything of this type.

Thanks in advance,

My stove is in the basement and the floors are around 80-85degrees

I believe there are wood fired hot water furnaces. You may be able to hook them up to a radiant floor system.

Many wood boilers, including efficient gasification ones like at New Horizons (https://www.hearth.com/prod.html)
another vendor is Tarm - think it's www.woodboilers.com
See Greenwood also at the Products page....

these are hot water boilers which use wood to heat water that can be sent to any radiant hydronic system.

Thanks to everyone for the responses....I guess I being tired was also looking for the wrong thing. Craig was able to point me to what I was actually looking for, however, space is definately not something that these appear to concerve...guess the woodstove will have to do to keep the air temp up, and possibly adding radiant flooring for those extra cold days.

Planning on doing a redo of my living room where the smaller of 2 stoves will be located. The floor is concrete with carpte currently covering. We are looking at either engineered flooring, or tile. Our primary concern with tile, though extremely durable is the cold mornings. I can float the floor up 4 inches (ie pour new concrete on top of this as currently there is a slight ramp (former owner who had addition built was wheelchair bound). Therefore, a clean leveling would be possible and I was hoping to embed copper pipe in the floor, however, the boiler would have to be placed on the other side of the house. Leaving the solution of using matted radiant flooring (and leaving the sloped grade into to room.

Another option would be to use area rugs and runners in the winter to take the chill off, and forgo any radiant flooring (from my understanding the resale price isnt affected unless it's in a bathroom, or a kitchen and I have no intention on doing this throughout the house :) ). We have a large slider that we could also use to harvest warmth in the winter (facing the sun nearly all day in the winter) and go with a darker tile that could possibly absorb the heat during the day and radiate it off in the evening...again, just playing with ideas at this point as we lay out the living space....this isnt going to occur till AFTER this burning season so it's not an immediate project (unless of course the burning season here on the East coast is done). :(

Whatever you do don't put regular copper in a concrete slab... it will carode and leak in your lifetime. Pex tube is recomended for this application and is actualy cheaper with todays copper prices.

Garett

Isn't there an electric, under tile floor warmer you can get? My uncle has one and I think it's only about 100W, but it keeps his floor very warm. I'm just not sure of availability any more. To my way of thinking 100W to keep a floor warm would be quite cheap.

Yes, Dylan, I'm serious. My uncle worked in the hardware industry for many years and this is one of those great products he came across. It heats the floor of his bathroom which is about 6'x12'. It's not meant to heat the bathroom itself just the tile (which is on slab). Like I said, I'm not sure if it's available in the States, or if it's even available anymore.
Edit: I just found a website that says it's about 15W per square foot.

Hilly, can you post the link or PM it to me? I am going to re-do my bathroom this winter and would like to take a look at that.
Thanks

hilly said:
Yes, Dylan, I'm serious. My uncle worked in the hardware industry for many years and this is one of those great products he came across. It heats the floor of his bathroom which is about 6'x12'. It's not meant to heat the bathroom itself just the tile (which is on slab). Like I said, I'm not sure if it's available in the States, or if it's even available anymore.
Edit: I just found a website that says it's about 15W per square foot.

Not saying this isn't a good product but my math sez 72 sq. ft. x 15 w/sq ft is 1080 watts.

Thanks for the link Hilly. I'm definitely going to do something like this in my bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.