Q&A Woodstove in basement of Cape Cod style house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a wood stove that i would like to use in my basement. I have a cape cod style house with (2) windows side by side at the top center. I don't want some obnoxious piping or Chimney on the side of my house offset about 8 feet from center or so, then extending up past the peek of my roof. I have a neighbor with a 2x2 concrete block chimney going up exactly the way I think mine would to have to miss the windows. It's appearance is quite obnoxious. Any tips or is this what "I" have to do if I want a wood stove in my basement. I'm thinking it has to go out the window area and up.

Answer:

However you do it, a full chimney is needed. This can be straight up through the house (closets) with a metal chimney..or out and up with metal or masonry. For better style the masonry chimney can be encased in brick ..or the metal chimney framed in and sided or stuccoed.

Status
Not open for further replies.