Woodstove in fireplace - clearances?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buzcranne

Oct 3, 2008
Deep South Jersey
I'm debating between installing an insert vs. a woodstove where I have an existing large fireplace. The fireplace opening is 45"W x 29"H x 24"D. I'm heating 3000 sq ft.

If I go with a stove, do all of the clearances apply? For example, if there is supposed to be 24" of clearance behind a stove, do I need that when putting the stove in a masonry fireplace rather than in front of a wall? Same question for the sides.

I have a raised hearth so the stove can't sit far outside of the fireplace.

Picture of existing fireplace attached.

Thanks.

Attachments

• PA020031.jpg
    PA020031.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 462
Nice set up. You may want to keep an insert in mind in the back of your head. With freestanding you run into more clearance issues with the mantle. Take a look at some stoves first, then see whether or not they will fit into your fireplace with the mantle clearances.

The clearances are to combustible surfaces. There should be no combustible surfaces in the fireplace, so you are ok. However, the mantle would be an issue unless shielded. The stove would heat better being a bit outside of the fireplace unless it has it's own blower. If necessary, the hearth can be extended, flush, at floor level to achieve proper coverage.

That said, a good insert may work just as well and might do the job fine. The clearance to the mantle will still be an issue unless the insert is flush faced.

Thanks everybody. This brings me to another question. My ideal setup would be a flush mount insert -- less intrusive to the room, slightly safer with the 1 to 6 midgets running around our house (depending on the day). But I'm really putting the unit in for heat, hopefully heating 3000 sq ft., I assume I'll be better off with a freestanding stove. Am I right?

Also, in case it makes a difference, I posted the floorplan of the house over here:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/24446/

Adios Pantalones said:
I assume that little double door to the right is where that cute midget lives. He looks pumped up about something.

Nice setup.

That is the funniest thing I have read in quite a while.

The Pacific Energy Summet is an insert that is rated for 3,000 sq ft. Take the rating for what it is worth of course, but it is one of the larger inserts made. It does not fit flush however.

The Quadrafire 5100I is another large insert that is rated for 3,500 sq ft. Also not flush.

It would appear either would fit.

I can't take credit for the midget in blue... that's a nephew. But the one in red giving the evil eye is one of mine. Unfortunately, he takes after me quite a bit.

That double-door is the timeout chamber. Gets a little warm with the fire going, but teaches a lesson that much faster.

Yes, I'm kidding.

the_dude said:
Adios Pantalones said:
I assume that little double door to the right is where that cute midget lives. He looks pumped up about something.

Nice setup.

That is the funniest thing I have read in quite a while.

I so agree... I laughed my head off and had to show my spouse :)

Status
Not open for further replies.