woodstove in same flue as oil burner..what to do..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acesneights1

Oct 18, 2008
North East CT
Before anyone cringes at yet another "I know this is bac but can I do it", I'm just deciding what to do with a pre existing install. When I bought the house 10 yrs ago there was an existing woodstove(older unit, model unknown) drilled into the same flue as thenoil furnace. I had a professional chimney sweep come in to clean everything and assess the condition as well as discuss installing a new woodstove upstairs on the first floor using the flue for the fireplace . He confirmed my concerns of using the existing stove in the basement and we also fojndnthe firebox itself in the upstairs fireplace had a rusthole in it so I put a 6in liner in and a free standing stove which Inhave used the last 10 years. My question is what to do with the old stove.
I don't use it but left it in place for emergency heat in csse of power failure(happens alot in Ct).
After further reading here I am womdering if it is even safe to use for that purpose since there could be oil residue in the oil flue ?
Maybe I should remove it for good ?

The Oil flue is for a furnace and/or water heater? Any thoughts about changing to a high eff direct vent?

That's what I ended up doing here. We had an oil furnace and old smoke dragon sharing a flue. Changed the furnace to high eff propane with direct vent, so the flue was good for the wood stove alone. Ended up changing the stove and all was good. I like having the second stove downstairs - as you said just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.