Woodstove in the middle of town?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynnergy

Feeling the Heat
Oct 15, 2012
Coast, BC
Hello all,

So, in addition to the cabin, I have been pondering putting in a small woodstove for backup/supplemental heating in my house in the middle of town. I live in a 10 year old 1000 sq ft duplex in a medium-sized town (pop. 30 000) on Vancouver Island - we are surrounded by lots and lots of other houses! But we live in an older part of town and there are some woodstoves around (including some smoke dragons).

The duplex has electricity only - baseboard heat, electric hot water, etc. We don't have power outages very often, but two years ago we had a massive windstorm that put power out throughout the town for 3 days - I assume these kind of storms will only get worse with climate change. Natural gas is available but we would have to pay to extend it down the lane to our house. But it might improve the resale value of the house. I doubt a woodstove would.

We had an energy assessment done, and the house is very tight and well-insulated, to the point where we are actually considering installing a fan to help with ventilation. We would have to buy wood because we don't really have time to go out and get wood when we're in town. So we probably wouldn't save any money. The energy assessor was very dismissive when I mentioned it - I think he was worried about air pollution. I have no idea what the other duplex owner thinks and I would have to clear it with her too.

What say hearth.com?

I would pursue the natural gas option to establish cost. Are you the only house on the lane or would there be others also interested in this that could share the cost?

If no gas then a small stove would be nice. I would stick with a very clean burner that will not overheat you. Maybe consider a small cat stove like the Blaze King Scirocco 20 or a Woodstock Keystone?

Wood stove will save money over elec baseboard no doubt, but if you have to buy wood, gas would be cheapest of all (excluding install costs).

No surprise that the energy auditor is anti wood. Most folks thing its a dirty polluter and if you got a free audit there is a chance its funded by the utilities (ours are).

Status
Not open for further replies.