Woodstove Insert Buying Advice Steel or Cast Iron and recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beaverbeliever

Hearth Supporter
Oct 5, 2009
Oregon
I've decided to replace an old 1979 Glacier Bay cast iron insert that I've never used (don't even have a liner yet) for a new EPA approved tax credit eligible insert and I'm reaching the overwhelmed state. The wife and I were close to pulling the trigger on a new Vermont Castings Montpelier over the weekend because she really liked the look of it being flush and I thought with the name came a reliable product. After finding this site I've been a bit scared away from that product due to posts about low performance and smoke issues. Other products I've been exploring are the Hampton HI200 and HI 300 and Quadrafire 4100i.

Without stirring up too much controversy on steel versus cast iron I'm looking for some buying advice. This will be a room enhancer as well as a second source of heat. It'll primarily be used on some evenings and on the weekends but won't be the sole source of heat for the house. The house is a 2000 square foot ranch with a goal of warming up probably 1100 square feet of it.

I'm also trying to keep prices in check and will be installing this myself. The wife wants something that doesn't stick out too far as well.

Welcome to the forums !!!

A rough house layout & fireplace dimensions will help to get things started.

Oh, and work on wood now, if you haven't already :)

Fireplace is located in the living room by the front door. This is adjacent to the open dining area. There's a short hallway with the kids rooms about 15-feet away. This is about 800 square feet of area. The kitchen is behind a wall from the living room with an open doorway from the dining area and might see some airflow. The fireplace is 35 inches wide by 26 inches tall by about 24 inches deep at the bottom.

The steps to buy a stove are:

1. Go with your wife and look at several stoves.

2. Figure out how much you can spend on a stove and chimney installation.

3. Go online and check out all of the specs for available stoves that will heat the space you need to heat.

4. Spend a few evenings on hearth.com and get impressions from people that own the stoves and other suggested alternatives.

5. Go back to the store and buy the stove your wife liked to look at in the first place. :coolsmirk:

as long as it is not the Vermont Castings!

Take a look at Jotul.

Don't hesitate to take a look at the lopi/avalon Travis Industry stoves. I think their quality is up there with the best.

The Jotul isn't a bad looking unit. anyone got a ball park cost for the Kennebec with blower? It looks about the right size for the fireplace and room demand.

To be fare to VC I must say I love mine! Many others also do! There is a learning curve with all Stoves/inserts. Especially from newbies. As far as heat I saved 500 gal. of heating oil last winter. I have a 1500 sq. ft. home. My wife loves that she doesn't have a metal box sticking out of her fireplace! I think it is the best looking unit on the market! There are many fine units out there. Good luck with your decision!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW6bgkRrelM

I have the Kennebec and love it. The Coal and Woodburner Shop in Toledo Ohio have it listed on their site, they are who I purchased mine through. Dealers in my area were all over the place price wise when I was shopping for ours. It was worth it for us to go a little farther from home for a fair price. Our closest dealer was at list plus on a three year old floor model, no thanks.

"room enhancer as well as a second source of heat"

Subjective as it may be, I like the look of Cast Iron versus Steel. Hearthstone and Jotul being my favorites. There's a character to the Cast stoves that may or may not fit your personal preference. Best advice already offered is to get out to some dealers "With your significant other" and look at them on the floor.. Pictures on the Internet just can't equal seeing them in person..

Status
Not open for further replies.