Woodstove Insert Insulating Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jzirkle92

Jan 7, 2014
New Jersey
I am installing a wood stove insert in my fire place. I am putting a 6" DuraFlex liner down my chimney to connect to the insert. I am going to insulate the chimney using Perlite poured in from the top because my chimney does not have enough clearance for a insulating wrap. My question is in regards to pouring in the perlite. I have about a 20" x 5" opening where I took my old damper out in order to run the pipe. What should I put there in order to hold the perlite in the chimney? Should I put sheet metal with a 6" hole for the pipe or a solid piece of steel. I would greatly appreciate any advice on this.

Yep, you'll need something to hold it in. Is this chimney on the interior of the home? Or on the exterior of an outside wall?

I'd first stuff around the liner with roxul, then install the metal blockoff plate as you mentioned it. In general, since this area gets hot, I'd avoid galvanized.

Also, be aware that while perlite will work, it may not be an approved material to insulate this liner (check the documentation as I can't recall for certain off hand). However, most companies only approve a product called thermix to use as pour down insulation

This chimney is on the exterior of the house.

What do I gain with the Roxul? And do you believe just any regular sheet metal will stand up to the heat?

I also am not concerned with warranty. They say to use Thermix but to me it looks just like perlite but is about 3 times more expensive than perlite.

Thanks for your help.

The roxul is a mineral type insulation that you can stuff around the liner at the base (and the top). By having it stuffed in there, it will prevent the perlite from falling out between the block off plate and the liner. It's tough to get a perfect seal with the block off plate, so the roxul helps with that, then the block off plate will keep the roxul in place for all eternity. Some folks who don't insulate with a pour down material just use the roxul (like for an interior chimney) at the bottom and top.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.