Woodstove insert operating temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excessads

Burning Hunk
Feb 16, 2016
Garden State
Century CW2500 along with insulated liner will be installed next Sat. Understand the stove temperature needs to be at least >300C to minimize cresote. What is the ideal operating temperature range. We would be recreational burner, would we need to closely monitor temperature often even though we will use seasoned wood or green wood w some trisodium phosphate?

Also, if the liner is hidden above the fireplace, any need/possibility of installing a damper to adjust airflow?

For concerns about creosote, the stove temp is less important than the flue gas temp. That is harder to measure on an insert without a remote probe. Creosote starts condensing in the liner below 250ºF or about 120ºC. If the stove is running right the flue temp will drop once the air is closed down. On our stove a 300ºC stove top would have about a 250ºC flue temp. Once the fire is at the coaling stage this no longer is a matter of concern as the volatile wood gases have all been burned off.

Last edited:
I wouldn't think you'd need to 'closely' monitor stovetop/flue/catalyst temperatures, but it does help to get things figured out and burning as efficiently as possible.

I don't have a thermometer yet, so I just go by looking at the fire & what's coming out of the chimney. I don't want to see much of any unburned smoke coming out of either. As long as the fire isn't smouldering/smoking or burning way too hot/fast, and I just see heat shimmers coming out of the chimney and no real smoke, I'm not too concerned about the exact temperatures.

I do plan on getting stovetop and catalyst temp probes installed though once I do the research & find good electronic ones.

If you're trying to burn green wood that's another problem entirely, just leave it to season for next year unless it's a real heating emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.