Woodstove insert retrofit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike971

Nov 16, 2013
Middleboro, MA
I have a Salvo Citation wood stove insert that I am restoring I have it basically completed. In my research for parts and whatnot, I have been thinking how to make this stove more efficient. I think that making reburn tubes would be a good solution. Does anyone make a retrofit kit for older woodstoves? Has anyone done this before? Is it even worth the effort? Any help would be appreciated.

I have never seen a "store bought" retro fit kit. Do a search on this forum and you find quite a few that have made their own though.

I saw an old post on here (actually why I joined) about someone who tried one on a buck stove. Saw a couple good ones using stoves like a fisher. I'd like to try this too. Hate to ruin a good stove by trial and error though.

Hi, You won't ruin the stove, just put your secondary air entry where you for sure want it, for sure. They all work, the only one that I've seen posted that didn't work well was in a buck stove, a single pipe at the front of the stove, where there was less chance of successful burn, even that one got a small amount of secondary burn.

I plan doing this myself, haven't allowed time enough to finish the project. Good luck with it, and please show a picture or two if you complete the job.

I get a secondary from the air wash, entering below the glass,I installed years ago, not as good as some I'm seen that others have done.

Richard

Last edited:
Here is a neat article I found on this last year.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/BioFuel/CatRetrofit/CatRetrofit.htm

I thought about doing this to my old stove, but I think I will be buying an EPA stove instead. I may do this to the smoke dragon after it is out of commission and then put it in our sunroom later (when I can afford another class A chimney).

Status
Not open for further replies.