1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Woodstove insert retrofit

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Mike971, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Mike971

Mike971 New Member

Loc:
    Middleboro, MA
    I have a Salvo Citation wood stove insert that I am restoring I have it basically completed. In my research for parts and whatnot, I have been thinking how to make this stove more efficient. I think that making reburn tubes would be a good solution. Does anyone make a retrofit kit for older woodstoves? Has anyone done this before? Is it even worth the effort? Any help would be appreciated.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. rwhite

rwhite Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Idaho
    I have never seen a "store bought" retro fit kit. Do a search on this forum and you find quite a few that have made their own though.
  3. valley ranch

valley ranch Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ranches in Sierra Nevada mts,Calif & Nevada
    Mike, Have you done anything with the Secondary Air Tubes? Like to see what you've worked on if you have.

Richard
  4. Kevin Okes

Kevin Okes New Member

Loc:
    Cool Ridge, WV
    I saw an old post on here (actually why I joined) about someone who tried one on a buck stove. Saw a couple good ones using stoves like a fisher. I'd like to try this too. Hate to ruin a good stove by trial and error though.
  5. valley ranch

valley ranch Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ranches in Sierra Nevada mts,Calif & Nevada
    Hi, You won't ruin the stove, just put your secondary air entry where you for sure want it, for sure. They all work, the only one that I've seen posted that didn't work well was in a buck stove, a single pipe at the front of the stove, where there was less chance of successful burn, even that one got a small amount of secondary burn.

I plan doing this myself, haven't allowed time enough to finish the project. Good luck with it, and please show a picture or two if you complete the job.

I get a secondary from the air wash, entering below the glass,I installed years ago, not as good as some I'm seen that others have done.

Richard
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  6. smokedragon

smokedragon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Here is a neat article I found on this last year.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/BioFuel/CatRetrofit/CatRetrofit.htm

I thought about doing this to my old stove, but I think I will be buying an EPA stove instead. I may do this to the smoke dragon after it is out of commission and then put it in our sunroom later (when I can afford another class A chimney).