woodstove installation questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gspro

Dec 12, 2007
Western NY
Planning on putting a woodstove in a fireplace opening. I have a 25' ss liner, but it has a 'T' on the end (was purchased for a different application). That just screws off, but what would I need to purchase to connect the liner to the woodstove (top mount)? Do woodstoves typically come with a sleeve, or whatever you need? The woodstove will probably be a quadra fire 4300. After I take out the existing damper from the fireplace (to allow the liner to drop down), what would I used to seal off the opening to the masonry chimney, around the liner?

I just did the same thing because I couldn't use a tee. You will want to get a stainless connector. I was able to use a straight one but I bought a 15 degree one just in case. I riveted it to the liner and it works well. It goes right into the top flue collar.

As far as damper sealing, you will want to look here at how to make a block off plate. I have a somewhat non-standard fireplace so I wasn't able to get one in in a single piece so I cut the old damper to fit around the liner and sealed that with RTV and kaowool. I'm working on a two piece block-off plate with a local tinbanger and hope to have that in later next week.

Edit: I got mine at Woodman's but this is the stainless adapter that I was talking about, and is essentially what Craig described below.

To clarify, I think you need a special fitting that usually comes with ss flex - it is oversized on one end to allow the flex to drop into it, and usually has a crimp on the other.

If you put a pipe INTO the flex from the bottom, you might have problems - because stove pipes are usually installed crimped ends down do any liquids flow into the next pipe and eventually into the stove (or as steam, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.