Woodstove NEWBIE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nolev77

Jul 16, 2008
Kentucky
I am putting a woodstove as a back up heat source (although I plan on using it to supplement my heating costs) in the basement of my new home. I have built my home completely myself, except for the hvac system and drywall, and purposely had my hvac guys place the return vents right over top where my new wood stove will be to distribute heat throughout the house (hopefully). My basement is about 700 square feet (it is a walkout basement on one end of the house), but the rest of my home is about 2000 sq. ft. single story. My question is...how big of a stove should I buy to heat the 2800 sq. ft. total area of my house, but not run myself out of the basement? Am I dreaming...should I buy a small stove just to heat the basement and hopefully move some of that air upstairs to at least the end of the house over the basement? I was considering buying an old Vermont Castings Defiant to fix up and put downstairs. A lady is trying to sell me the one in the pics for 400.00. Looks to me like it would take a lot of work and $ to fix. Any suggestions on a great, reasonably priced wood stove that my wife would find somewhat aesthetically pleasing? I am in desperate need of all of your expert opinions!!

Confused in Kentucky,

Mac

Attachments

• 01020901031101160420080625f207107bc1e1cfac2200247f.jpg
    01020901031101160420080625f207107bc1e1cfac2200247f.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 663
I'd take that stove for free.... not much more though. Without knowing more about your house layout its hard to say how well the heat would distribute. The return probably wont do a lot of good.

When you say "return vents", are you talking about registers that deliver air to the room from the system fan, or take a suction from the room to the system fan? (yes, it makes a difference, you may already have a code problem with your plan). Rick

I meant suction from the room to the system fan. Any advice on stoves in particular? Name brands better than others? More bang for the buck?

Trying to heat the whole house from the basement can be hit or miss. It can be more often miss if you don't want the basement too hot and there is not an easy way for the heat to naturally convect upstairs. Code requires that the return grille be no closer than 10 feet from the stove. What you have set up will not pass inspection. If there is an accident related to the stove insurance will likely use this as an excuse not to pay.

That old stove has burned hot and hard. I wouldn't take it, even for free. There are lots of good stoves to choose from, but you will get so much more comfort out of one if you put it on the first floor. If you like the looks of cast iron, then Jotul and Hearthstone make some excellent stoves. If you'd like an attractive cast iron/steel hybrid Quadrafire makes some and so does Pacific Energy. Then there are soapstone stoves which some folks love the looks of. All depends. All of these companies make their stoves in a variety of sizes so you can either put a small/medium one in the basement or a medium/large one upstairs.

That puppy has been overfired, and is worth more in scrap than anything else.

400 is too much for that old VC beater. Very Good stove in it's day- I had one in 1982.

There are many stoves/sizes/pricepoints- but if you have a new home- and you plan on staying there for awhile- spring for a new one. Any good sized stove will definitely heat up that basement- no way around it. If your goal is to get some of that heat up-stairs and around the house- it can be done with the help of air movement...circulation is the trick.

I have NO heating sources on my main floor (Ranch-2320 sft. over full walk-out basement-Radient in basement w/OWB, Lopi in basement for ambance and backup if power go's out). Without OWB on, I can heat the entire basement and main floor with woodstove- but house is SIP panel and super-insulated.

The way is to have very good insulation- and air circulation. It is not all convection (air moving up), you also need air moving back down toward the stove. Ceiling fans help with moving air from the ceiling. I have found a fan pushing air back down the stair way to the basement really helps in distribution of warm air.

As for Stove choices, check out the reviews on this site- do some research. As said... there are many good stoves on the market- cat, non-cat, steel, iron, soapstone... all depends on your desires and needs... and your wallet. You might want to check out the advertisers on this site-good folks can help you with all the choices.

Forget that old stove nolev...but I kind of like your idea about the registers being over the stove. I suppose you could get a coal stove and put it down in the basement for guaranteed heat. Otherwise reconsider locating a wood stove upstairs modern day wood stoves are so much more than just heat merchants...hate to see ya miss out.

I looks like a Vermont Castings Defiant if my eyes are right.

If it's solid and with good seams, a little steel wool and stove black would make it look primo.

Keep it stoked, it'll keep your entire house warmer. I lived with one in Vermont in a creaky old Vic a long time ago...

Many, many people have their stoves in the basement, I know, but there is one issue with this placement that is not mentioned as much as it ought to be, in my view. Perhaps the most important aspect of safely heating with wood is vigilance. When the wood stove is off in the basement, it's out of sight and out of mind.

Dear as they are to my heart, the Defiant in the picture is no real bargain at $400. It will need a complete rebuild. Labor (unless you feel you can do it yourself) and parts will add considerably to the cost. That's assuming none of the major castings are warped; if they are, it would be that much more expensive,

Nolev - that stove has been rode hard and put away wet. I think you will find better stoves for 400 bucks out there.

The concern with your return vent is the "safety" issue. What happens IF something goes wrong. IF something goes wrong, you just pumped all the bad stuff (fire, smoke, etc.) to the rest of the house very quickly. Something to think about. It will not pass code if your inspector is up on that kind of stuff.

If at all possible, at least consider locating your stove on the main floor. Stoves typically will serve the heating needs of the house better when located in "living" areas. A poster above stated a wise little tid bit. Your gonna pay more attention to it if it is around you than you will if it is out of site. Not to mention hauling wood in and ashes out of the basement (unless you have easy access to the basement).

I have to agree; the stove looks pretty beat.

Keep looking; there are good ones out there. I have a 80's Resolute and Intrepid, both in "A+" condition and operational and have less than $500 in each.

Mind you, I like vintage stuff. Modern stoves are unquestionably easier to live with and more efficient in some respects.

Regardless, best of luck. Get a good stove you like, and you'll have a "chore" that turns into a labor of love, good exercise and you'll enjoy the warmth for many winters to come.

Since you have a walk out basement like me, I think it's a good choice to install a stove down there. If the stairwell is close by you will get some heat upstairs, how much depends on your floor plan and air circulation loop. Like most others I'd pass on the VC stove. For a few hundred more you could buy a brand new Englander or Napolean and get more heat burning less wood. Look for a stove with a firebox in the 2-3cu ft range. It's going to be hot in your basement and anywhere from 5-10 degrees cooler upstairs.

Several of you have brushed upon a topic that I'm pondering. I have a 1000 sq foot ranch and I'd like to put a Jotel 300 or KozyHeat Lakefield direct vent in the basement as a backup for when (not if around here) the power goes out to my gas forced air furnace. It's an unfinished seven foot basement - no ceiling. I'm not concerned with how comfortable the upstairs is, I just want to keep everything from freezing. When the electric goes out the gasoline pumps don't work and those that do have mile long lines backed up so I've given up on the generator option. Since it's downstairs I've eliminated the wood/pellet option because I don't want to leave it unattended. One dealer tells me it will work but don't expect alot of heat upstairs, another dealer says it will never work. Would really appreciate some help on this - anyone out there have any experience with this? Thanks in advance.
Phil

Hi Phil, welcome. Have you considered insulating the basement and carefully caulking the sill plate for greater peace of mind?

Try starting up a new post in the 'it's a gas' forum for a more direct answer to your query. I don't see why it wouldn't work. You might also consider a natural gas generator if this is a frequent occurrence and you have frozen goods that you want to save.

I bought a brand new Englander 30-NC from a guy on Craigslist last December for $550. It was still on the pallet and still wrapped in plastic.

There are much better deals out there if you keep your eyes out for them.

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.