Q&A Woodstove Operation Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

We have an older non-catalytic, non-airtight stove with a damper on the stove pipe. I have surfed around trying to find advice as to the proper use of the damper in conjunction with the door vents. Can you help or point me in the right direction? I understand that a hot fire is necessary for the first 15 minutes or so. After that I usually close the door vents a fair amount and almost close the damper on the pipe. Is this the best setting for use at night? I want a hot fire that burns long.

Answer:

It's very much a "touch and feel" thing. When starting and loading the stove, leave all dampers open. When the fire is in it's initial stages (flame,etc.) close the top damper part way and open the bottom ones..this allows for plenty of combustion air to burn the gases off of the wood.

When the wood gets down to red embers, close the top damper most of the way and the bottoms also (depending on draft, wood, etc). This holds the heat into the stove and create a log burn time at this fire stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.