Woodstove Or Insert To Fit 22" High X 18" Wide x 7" Fireplace Opening?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bbear

Hearth Supporter
Oct 14, 2010
NC Piedmont
"Back again", and is my face red.....the coal fireplace openings are 22" high by 18" wide, and NOT "'tother-way-round"....

Drove to Buck Woodstoves yesterday at Spruce Pine (NC) and they were very helpful and ethical, and I would recommend them to anyone, but they didn't have a stove which would fit that opening.....does anyone else?

Picture too, that the flue opening is in the "ceiling" of the fireplace opening, and it is the full 18" wide-across, but only 3 and 3/4" forward from the fireplace back wall. The flue is.....in back of that, and I measured 8" from the fireplace back wall to the flue back wall.

In other words....picture a stove with a "box" end 22" high by 18" wide, OR LESS, and a stovepipe fitting, if it is on top, which is
at the very BACK and right up against the stove back wall, and is perhaps oval so that it can take a stovepipe which will fit through a 3 and 3/4" opening, (and then round out into a 4" diameter stovepipe?). The other thing....IF one exists....is a stove with the same back dimensions, or less, and which has a stovepipe fitting on the upper back stove wall.

Also......and keep in mind that I am entirely new to woodstoves.....don't I need some clearance for a stovepipe damper?

....I can't operate a woodstove efficiently without a stovepipe damper, can I?

Can anybody help with the rest?

(...At least...I've learned this much: If the installation is to work, I need an insulated stovepipe from the stove all the way to the top of the chimney....as an 80 year old chimney flue is doubtful at best.)

(Nor do the tiny former Atlantic Maritimes shipboard wood heaters make much sense, as they can barely heat one room.....)

(Also, Anthracite does not make sense in the NC Piedmont, as wood is much more available.......and in any event, can't seem to find either a dealer for coal, nor an anthracite source closer than Pennsylvania....right?)

(and also for now.....I've got forced hot air....and the return duct for the living room where the fireplace is, is about 4 foot from the fireplace....so....couldn't I rig up some kind of heat chamber and fan and ductwork somehow, which would feed at least the entire downstairs heating zone?)

....Anybody have any other ideas for a woodstove or some kind of super-small wood fireplace insert that would fit this fireplace?

Bbear said:
"Back again", and is my face red.....the coal fireplace openings are 22" high by 18" wide, and NOT "'tother-way-round"....

Drove to Buck Woodstoves yesterday at Spruce Pine (NC) and they were very helpful and ethical, and I would recommend them to anyone, but they didn't have a stove which would fit that opening.....does anyone else?

Picture too, that the flue opening is in the "ceiling" of the fireplace opening, and it is the full 18" wide-across, but only 3 and 3/4" forward from the fireplace back wall. The flue is.....in back of that, and I measured 8" from the fireplace back wall to the flue back wall.

In other words....picture a stove with a "box" end 22" high by 18" wide, OR LESS, and a stovepipe fitting, if it is on top, which is
at the very BACK and right up against the stove back wall, and is perhaps oval so that it can take a stovepipe which will fit through a 3 and 3/4" opening, (and then round out into a 4" diameter stovepipe?). The other thing....IF one exists....is a stove with the same back dimensions, or less, and which has a stovepipe fitting on the upper back stove wall.

I think a picture might help . . . I keep thinking that there must be several stoves with rear exits that would work if you pulled the stove away from the fireplace and made it into a hearth-mount stove. Of course, also knowing what size stove you need would help folks in offering suggestions.

Also......and keep in mind that I am entirely new to woodstoves.....don't I need some clearance for a stovepipe damper? Chances are you will not need a stove pipe damper on a modern EPA stove.

....I can't operate a woodstove efficiently without a stovepipe damper, can I? Again, most modern stoves actually run quite well, if not better, without a stove pipe damper. About the only time folks find they really need a stove pipe damper is with exceptionally long runs where the draft is too much . . . typically it seems more folks have issues with the draft not being strong enough vs. too strong.Can anybody help with the rest?

(...At least...I've learned this much: If the installation is to work, I need an insulated stovepipe from the stove all the way to the top of the chimney....as an 80 year old chimney flue is doubtful at best.)

(Nor do the tiny former Atlantic Maritimes shipboard wood heaters make much sense, as they can barely heat one room.....) Yes . . . generally going with one of these stoves to heat a conventional sized home does not make much sense.

(Also, Anthracite does not make sense in the NC Piedmont, as wood is much more available.......and in any event, can't seem to find either a dealer for coal, nor an anthracite source closer than Pennsylvania....right?) Well, we're mostly wood based burners here . . . but I suspect you should be able to find some place that sells coal . . . even here in Maine where coal burners are far and few between (there is a lot of wood here and most folks who use alternative heating use wood) . . . you can find several places that sell coal by the ton.

(and also for now.....I've got forced hot air....and the return duct for the living room where the fireplace is, is about 4 foot from the fireplace....so....couldn't I rig up some kind of heat chamber and fan and ductwork somehow, which would feed at least the entire downstairs heating zone?) Me personally I wouldn't . . . I think you would find simply using a fan on the floor would work just as well in moving the heat around the house . . . in fact I think it would do a better job.

....Anybody have any other ideas for a woodstove or some kind of super-small wood fireplace insert that would fit this fireplace?

Status
Not open for further replies.