Woodstove Summer Maintenance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thor

Jan 12, 2013
Central Pa
Cold snap behind us ( 60 forecast for Wednesday ) I was thinking ahead on how to close up stove this summer. This is my first stove with secondary tubes. I was thinking that they could rust real easy in the off season and was wondering if anyone applies anything to the tubes or any other metal surfaces ? Any other tips for closing her down for the season would also be appreciated. Thanks

Cold snap behind us ( 60 forecast for Wednesday ) I was thinking ahead on how to close up stove this summer. This is my first stove with secondary tubes. I was thinking that they could rust real easy in the off season and was wondering if anyone applies anything to the tubes or any other metal surfaces ? Any other tips for closing her down for the season would also be appreciated. Thanks
I am very familiar with your stove and they are among the good ones. My personal experience of more than 10 years with the tubes suggest that they do not rust. I have not experienced in Southcoast, Massachusetts or in Central Maine. The Maine stove is used mostly in November through March and is idle for the rest of the year. No rust problems. I believe the tubes are stainless but I am not sure what material other manufacturers are using. In short, I don't touch the tubes at all. Just a good clean out at the end of the season.

Not a lot is necessary other than a good cleaning. As I understand cleaning the chimney is wise at the end of the season instead of waiting for the begining of the following season because any crud left inside could potentionally be a moisture collector or corrosive. Not sure this is true but it seems to be a good practice. Tubes inside the stove are stainless so less likely to rust but stainless steel is only stain resistant so keep that in mind. I let mine cool for weeks and then shovel out everything and may even vaccuum although not necessary. I just like to inspect all the bricks and baffles. If there is any concern for critters coming in a cold stove from the top side(this happens) just block off the stove pipe with a balloon or similar or even stuffing a bunch of plastic grocery bags up there but place a note inside the stove that they are there so you do not attempt to fire it up before removing it.

Others may have more tips and tricks as well but this is what I have done. Stoves are rather simple machines so little maintenance is required other than a little cleaning and inspection.

I just clean it up . . . sweep the chimney . . . give it a complete vacuum cleaning (several days after the fire has gone out) . . . sometimes I put a box of baking soda inside the fire box . . . or sometimes during the summer I put a candle inside and light it when the draft is reversed and I smell smoke or creosote in the home.

I just clean it up . . . sweep the chimney . . . give it a complete vacuum cleaning (several days after the fire has gone out) . . . sometimes I put a box of baking soda inside the fire box . . . or sometimes during the summer I put a candle inside and light it when the draft is reversed and I smell smoke or creosote in the home.
Does the baking soda help? Haven't tried it yet!

I clean mine real well, sweep the stack, and put a peanut can of cat litter in the center. Someone on here mentioned that it can help with moisture and since year one I've used it. Does it make a difference....don't know but there is no rust and the stove smells fresh.

Does the baking soda help? Haven't tried it yet!

Seems to . . . moisture never really seems to be too much of an issue though. I figure it can't really hurt things.

3rd year with EPA stove and so far have just done what others here already advised (a good cleaning in the spring at the end of the burning season). The tubes I believe are stainless - they are still in great shape (hope they stay that way - I think I saw them selling on a parts site for @ $50 each if I recall - ouch...).

We did the same as above-got the flue swept, cleaned the stove out real good and just left it. I did burn candles in it some nights, but I'll admit that it was more for the ambiance than to reverse the draft or take care of moisture! Ia lso cleaned the grates on the blower real well, and reseasoned the cast iron steamer that sits on the step top. Cleaned and polished the vintage brass tools and refilled the wood box so it didn't sit there empty, cleaned out all the little bits and pieces from it first though.

3rd year with EPA stove and so far have just done what others here already advised (a good cleaning in the spring at the end of the burning season). The tubes I believe are stainless - they are still in great shape (hope they stay that way - I think I saw them selling on a parts site for @ $50 each if I recall - ouch...).
Take good care of your stove to avoid costly replacement and sometimes difficult installation of pricey parts. As for the tubes, all of my stoves have done well and so far never had to replace any;;;;;;;; yet!

All good stuff here.

+1 on sweeping the chimney in the spring. I do it so I'm ready for shoulder season in the fall on short notice.

I also leave a note so I remember it's done. Besides , I may be too old to do it in the fall

Status
Not open for further replies.