Woodstove surround

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lightecho

Feb 8, 2014
IA
Does anyone have access to, or know the website for, a detailed and clear explanation of how to build your own woodstove surround with cement board and ceramic tile in a corner? Like how to attach the cement board to the wall (100yr old uninsulated plaster), clearance behind the cement board, and how high/wide to go around the stove. I'd like to build my own, but want to do it right the first time. Thanks!

Is the surround cosmetic or is is necessary for clearance reduction?

Mostly cosmetic, and maybe a little for piece of mind fireproofing (I like the idea of the ceramic tile better than the old plaster around the stove). And maybe a little for reflective heat, if I can get it. The stove was prof installed with a little extra clearance build in, with the idea of eventually doing the surround.

Then it is your call. The cement board can be mounted directly over the plaster attached with a cement board screw every 8" or it can be held off the wall one inch by spacers. If the later case keep it 1" off the hearth floor and open at the the top so that air can freely circulate behind it.

I like the idea of attaching it directly to the plaster, was just worried about the heat transfer issue through the surround to the plaster. But, I guess the Lopi Endeavor is supposed to have such cool sides and back that it shouldn't be an issue as long as the factory clearance is maintained. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.