Woodstove tool set help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brooktrout

Dec 23, 2007
Hamden, NY
Can anyone send me in the right direction for a mini tool set for my stove that a)doesn't cost an arm and leg, and b) comes with a rake? Thanks!

i was looking for the same thing for about one year. i dont belive they make a low price stove set with a rake. so i purchaced a garden rake . cut it in half and drilled a hole so it would fit a handle . cost me about 20.00 . other than a rake and shovel thats all i really use . once i get my camera back ill post some pic

I use a modified bbq spatula as a hoe of sorts, a shovel that came with my ash bucket, and a rake I made by welding a different handle onto a garden rake. I was raised by an engineer, we didn't buy it if we could make it or modify it. All I ever found in the big box stores were fireplace tools, which are pretty much worthless in a stove.

BeGreen said:
Woodland direct has several sets including some smaller mini-sets:

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Fireplace-Accessories/Mini-Tool-Sets

Thanks for the link, I am going to order this up:
http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Firep...957c88cbb0909886.e3eSc3eMbxuPe34Pa38Ta38Mb3f0

EDIT:
significantly cheaper here:
http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5MM-MINI-11

BTW, I went to my Lowes, they only had a few dollars off each wood burning item. Tool sets normally $56 are on sale for about $52 at my local Lowes.

50% off at our local lowes. Now they have a large selection of BBQ grills at 50% off also stainless charbroil pro series $150.
Wait it out! They will come down.

Hubjeep said:

UPDATE, they took a couple weeks to arrive (on backorder), but I am extremely impressed with their construction. Poker is one piece, rake, and shovel ends are securely welded to the handle (not rivited), rack is sturdy. It is very nice to have a rake to bring coals from the back forward. Worth much more than it's $34 purchase price.

Impossible to find here. I'm using an old pry bar that I accidentally bent about 80 degrees taking a wheel bearing off (No, I didn't get it off yet). Thanks for the links.

I couldn't find a rake in stores, but I did see one on e-bay. I decided to make one myself, so I bought some dimensional steel from the Depot and welded together pieces to form a rake that suited my needs. We actually made two of them in one evening. We may make more and try and sell them to other stove users. More to follow... Hopefully some pictures too.

sometimes I just reach in with my fire gloves and sometimes with a piece of wood, not effective as a tool but it works, and I find it funny that so many of us don't use something official but something modified and homemade!, hurry up and post those pics of your new business!

Those tools are all too short of handle for me to use.
My firebox is 3 feet deep by 2 ft wide by 2 feet high.

Was a 1970 era,ex- smoking dragon, 1/4 in plate steel,monster stove.
DIY converted to secondary burn epa standards, not because i care about smoke over much, but because I care about eating 4 wheelbarrows of wood each day.

Now, 8- five gal buckets of wood last 2 days or longer. Because of the extra heat generated by the secondary burn, I only use 1/2 sized wood loads on all but the 18 deg days.

at 18 deg ,she gets a full load.
I use a full size garden hoe with a well sinzenged wood handle .

If I'm not quick about it, I end up blowing the handle out.

Maybe if I glue some aluminum foil on the handle ,shiny side out ,what you think,could work???

Status
Not open for further replies.