woodstove with low back Exhaust exit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brewmaster34

Jul 24, 2014
auburn maine 04210
just moved into new house it has a spot for woodstove. but pad on floor to the bottom of flue is 23.5inch and to middle is 27.5 inch and top is 31.5 inch setup for 8 inch pipe. chimneys is on outside of house made out of Concrete Block. trying to find a woodstove that will work with this setup. not like to spend a lot of money for stove. heating a 1500 square feet house build in 1920. looking for a stove between 800.00 and 1400.00 for price

Welcome brewmaster!

Only a few brands carry stoves that have a rear exhaust option and those are often more expensive cast iron models. In addition, 8" flues are rare. The only 8" rear-vent I know of is the Hearthstone Equinox which exceeds your budget and your heating needs substantially. Closer to your budget but still more than you are thinking are the High Valley 1600 and the Woodstock Ideal Steel. Maybe the Jotul F45 Greenville would also be an option. All of them need a 6" flue, however. If you are interested, I would give those companies a call and talk about your installation options. (For the Jotul look for a dealer in your area.)

Potentially cheaper would be to close the current hole and make one further up for a 6" flue. Then you could install a top-vented stove of which you can find some for around $1000.

Do you know if the masonry chimney has a liner? You may need to drop down an insulated 6" liner for optimal draft. Make also sure you have dry, seasoned wood with an internal moisture content of less than 20 % or you will have problems getting a good fire going, waste a lot of heat, and create unsafe conditions by accumulating excess creosote in your chimney.

It's possible the previous owner had a pellet stove. Most of those use a rear exhaust.

Or an old smoke dragon like an Orley.

You may be able to patch up the current 8" thimble hole and install a new 6" thimble higher up so that you can hook up a top exit stove.

I have a similar setup, except the chimney is internal. I bought a used Woodstock Soapstone Fireview 205 and will be installing it soon. I was concerned about the fact that my chimney also has an 8" thimble (and 8x8 liner), but the folks at Woodstock Soapstone said it would draft just fine for the Fireview. A used Fireview should be right in your price range, and it's an awfully nice stove.

Last edited:
It appears by his numbers that a number of Jotuls would be able to be matched up into the 8 inch flue with appropriate short leg kits perhaps. The price tags will be more though. For more affordable steel stoves a taller thimble would be needed and prob a liner too. An 8 inch thimble can mean a large flue. Good luck with it.

In steel stoves the Buck261 is one of the only choices for rear exit.

Sounds like it was a Fisher type steel rear vent stove installed before. I would start hunting down a used stove on CL to meet your budget requirements, no new stove is that cheap with rear vent option.

I would do as suggested and plug that one and install a 6" thimble up higher so you can buy a top vent stove, you can find them all day long new in your budget range. Not that hard to install a new one, being that your are in Maine I am sure one of you buddies has done it before.

I will of course recommend you running an insulated stainless steel liner down the chimney with it being older, atleast have a camera inspection done on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.