woodstoves vent out back? Circulators ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
Hello all, long time since visiting.
Got a different old smaller house now
Prev owner in the 1970s dug out basement and bricked outside home -he put in a fireplace in basement only.. Owner bricked up the opening , fireback guess its called or back bricked wall of fireplace..... all back and put in a 6 inch tile opening. Unfortunately its only 22 centered off hearth,a brick one.
Too, unfortuntely the previous owner when he died , his widow gave it away...widow died
so we know little.

Other than a circulator type woodstove are there anybrands we can use ?we wanna be able to cook on top some too,esp for power outgages,etc
what about a used one?
What yall think about circulators? anyone have one??????
Thanks yall
Jean

Woodstock stoves have a pretty low exit rear flue on some models. Can the hearth be lowered by removing brick? Or, can this chimney be tapped at the first floor level?

What do you mean by a dug out basement? Is it now finished and insulated? Otherwise heating may be quite poor. How is the heat getting upstairs?

Hello, it has only been about 8 months since the install but I recall our VC-Encore having a relatively low rear exit flue. The Intrepid (?) model is a little smaller and even closer to the floor. I really like our stove for the short season we had to burn. Good luck!

Vermont Castings Intrepid II has reversable flue collar. Can vent out back or straight up. Also has top load via steel cooking griddle lid.
You can also get a short leg kit to reduce height.

The rear exit VC stoves work quite well, I have an Encore in a relatively small hearth... though it might not be as low as yours Id have to measure it when i get back from traveling. You can cook on the griddle and even top load with the rear exit so long as you are careful to build a good draft before opening it up.

If you look at them the new 2in1 designs seem to be the models to get, older models especially non-cats can be hit and miss.

Woodstock stoves have a pretty low exit rear flue on some models. Can the hearth be lowered by removing brick? Or, can this chimney be tapped at the first floor level?

What do you mean by a dug out basement? Is it now finished and insulated? Otherwise heating may be quite poor. How is the heat getting upstairs?
yes basement is insulated and finished....
Nah he wont mess with upstairs in this money pit old house, we are too old and tired and too many items on our plate
Thanks
jean

Take a look at the Woodstock stoves and/or consider lowering the hearth if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.