Woodstoves with 'cooking' ability

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ourmoneypit

Jun 16, 2008
ON/S QC
Spouse fell in love with the Heartland Cookstoves, but they are not heating applicances, and not EPA-rated, so they're out for us. We're looking for a primary heat source for an open concept bungalow with 1100 sq ft in the main area, another 400 sq ft feet in adjoining hallway and vestibule and +400 sq feet in bedrooms and bath off the hallway.

We are trying to take a look at all the other woodstoves where a 'cooking plate' is included or available, such as the VC non-catalytic stoves, the Jotul Oslo F500. What other EPA-rated cast iron freestanding woodstoves are out there that offer this feature, either standard, or as an option?

Mostly, she loved the look of the Heartlands. She is, however, quite partial to toast cooked on the flat grill, (using an old-fashioned heat on the stove iron to compress the bread...remnants of her childhood :) so I imagine the stove will see a lot of bread and butter in the winter. Other than that, likely only when there is a power outage...

We'll check out what you've suggested, thanks.

Look at the Harman Oakwood it is a cast iron stove with an option to drop in a grill.

I own a TL-300 and its grill option was a main selling point for me.

A huge drawback in cooking on a wood stove is 1.) Drips, spatter et. al. wreck the finish in a heartbeat and 2.) Said drips and spatters are on there for the duration while the stove is hot. Baking onto the stove and stinking to high heaven.

Both our last stove and the current one have a large expanse of flat steel that will do for cooking but after a couple of times we never did that again. We keep a propane camping stove in readiness for power outages.

You wanna cook, or you wanna heat? You wanna do both. The Heartlands are certainly handsome stoves, in their quaint way (remind me of the stove in my Grandparents' kitchen I'd be responsible to get fired up each morning when I visited), but I've no idea what they cost. If $$$'s no object, or a secondary consideration, or if they're comparable, if it were me, I'd take a good long look at the Esse. Looks like a beauty to me. What room is this apparatus going into? Rick

The Heartland and the Esse are comparable in price, from what I can tell. I'll show DS the Esse, but I'm not sure it's going to have the same appeal for her. It's not that $$ is no object, but this is to be our retirement home, and we have promised ourselves we would treat ourselves to some things we really want, the perfect (for us) woodstove being one of those things.

The comments about the mess created by cooking on the stove are very much on point, and I will share them with DS, tho' I'm sure she is aware, having grown up flattening toast on the stove...

The heating appliance will be in the open area about 24' x 45' that includes the LR, DR, 'study' area, kitchen and room left over for the stove and a few rockers in front...we didn't build this place, we just really lucked out when we bought it...

ourmoneypit said:
...The heating appliance will be in the open area about 24' x 45' that includes the LR, DR, 'study' area, kitchen and room left over for the stove and a few rockers in front...we didn't build this place, we just really lucked out when we bought it...

Sounds like a lovely place...I really am partial to big, open rooms like that. We, too, are in the last home I ever intend to occupy, currently undergoing some major modifications to make into what we want it to be. (Living on-site in our own guest quarters we had built last year). I'm sure you'll find a stove that fits your home and your lifestyle and your needs, and it will be a nice focal point in your home. Welcome to the forum, BTW. Best, Rick

fossil said:
(Living on-site in our own guest quarters we had built last year)

I'm betting it will be the servant's quarters. ;-P

BrotherBart said:
...I'm betting it will be the servant's quarters. ;-P

It already is. When we move back out and into the newly remodeled servants' house, then this will truly be the guest quarters. You're welcome anytime, soldier. :) Rick

We have an Esse W25 which includes the central heating boiler, hot plate simmer plate and 2 ovens. If house is very well insulated then the boiler will provide central heating but you will need to run it with an accumulator tank. We also fitted a laddomat 21 to get the water upto temperature quickly so that the secondry combustion starts to work quicker. After 6 months of hell with the stove we have found the secret to success. The wood must be very dry in particular less than 20% moisture. We could now not live without it providing all the heat and hot water for a 200 sq mtr old stone farmhouse (1721)

We sat down and looked at the various options suggested. As I suspected, it really was the 'old fashioned' aesthetic of the Heartland that she loved, but the reality is that we really need something that can heat. So far, it looks like we'll be taking closer looks at the cast-iron stoves, like the VC line, the Jotul's, etc...

Thanks for all the feedback, folks.

BrotherBart said:
A huge drawback in cooking on a wood stove is 1.) Drips, spatter et. al. wreck the finish in a heartbeat and 2.) Said drips and spatters are on there for the duration while the stove is hot. Baking onto the stove and stinking to high heaven.

Both our last stove and the current one have a large expanse of flat steel that will do for cooking but after a couple of times we never did that again. We keep a propane camping stove in readiness for power outages.

Not a problem on an Oakwood when using the drop in grill. Just throw the meat on the grill and close the lid, all splatter and smoke stays in the stove and goes up the chimney. All your neighbors will be wondering who's have a BBQ in January. You do get some some splatter on the inside of the glass, but is easily burned off on the next hot fire.

ourmoneypit said:
We sat down and looked at the various options suggested. As I suspected, it really was the 'old fashioned' aesthetic of the Heartland that she loved, but the reality is that we really need something that can heat. So far, it looks like we'll be taking closer looks at the cast-iron stoves, like the VC line, the Jotul's, etc...

Thanks for all the feedback, folks.

Depending on the size of stove needed, the Harman Oakwood, Quadrafire Isle Royale should also be considered with the Jotuls and Morsos. VC is currently part of bankruptcy proceedings. We all hope it comes out with new owners, but caveat emptor.

Although I really like enameled stoves, I would get a plain cast iron one it I intended to do much cooking on it.

I bought a Heartland Sweetheart (used) this past winter for a steal of $1000, so I will have a separate cookstove running in tandem with my Hearthstone Mansfield. I plan to do the install this summer/fall.

BTW, Hearthstone also started making a cookstove (the Diva), possibly put out more heat than Heartland line? I didn't see this one mentioned.

When I do my timberframe addition in a couple years, I am planning to plumb up the Heartland for some supplemental hot water.

Attachments

• IMG_2144.JPG
    IMG_2144.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 391
Mike from Athens said:
I bought a Heartland Sweetheart (used) this past winter for a steal of $1000, so I will have a separate cookstove running in tandem with my Hearthstone Mansfield. I plan to do the install this summer/fall....cut, snip....

Oh you lucky dog! What a find... I know the Heartlands are EPA exempt, but I wish they'd get them tested anyway, so we could make an informed choice...We so love the look of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.