Woodworking 101...tools, skill...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay H

Nov 20, 2006
NJ
As a sea kayaker, I'm thinking of making my own Greenland Paddle:

nansen_paddle2.gif

Being somewhat a beginner and still learning a roll, I found it way more easier to scull with one than a euro blade paddle, but more importantly, it's a lot cheaper to make one with the tools and skill than it would be to buy a commercially made paddle which can be anywhere from $150-$300 (and of course even more). Considering all you need at a minimum is a 2x4 of appropriate length ~80"ish of a good water resistant wood. Cedar is popular or specifically Western Red Cedar, mahogany, etc. etc. and a good quality.

That isn't too expensive, however, tools in woodworking would be something I would also need, and some of course, knowledge and skill in using them.

The below is a nice PDF file of making one:

http://www.qajaqusa.org/QK/makegreen2.pdf

Tools needed mentioned in the above:

hand saw
a knife
a drawknife (I have an idea what this is)
a plane (Sheesh, now I have to make a Cessna??? Just kidding! :))
a spoke shave (no idea what this is)
Surform-type perforated metal tools (what?)
sandpaper (ooooh, I have some!)
0000 grade steel wool (can get some)

Now, how much are we talking about for me to get the above tools, namely, the specialty tools like the drawknife, plane, spoke shave, metal tools?

Would I have to go to a specialty woodworking store? Anybody know of a good one in northern NJ? I think I know of a lumbar place that has western red cedar but tools would be a new domain for me.

Jay

The last time I was hunting for good wooodworking tools I bought them off of Amazon. It can be difficult to find some of those tools locally.

check rockler.com depends on quality of the tool planes and spokeshaves 5 bucks to 500 leigh valley just google woodworking tools

Jay H said:
nansen_paddle2.gif
Being somewhat a beginner and still learning a roll, I found it way more easier to scull with one than a euro blade paddle, but more importantly, it's a lot cheaper to make one with the tools and skill than it would be to buy a commercially made paddle which can be anywhere from $150-$300 (and of course even more).    Considering all you need at a minimum is a 2x4 of appropriate length ~80"ish of a good water resistant wood. Cedar is popular or specifically Western Red Cedar, mahogany, etc. etc. and a good quality. That isn't too expensive, however, tools in woodworking would be something I would also need, and some of course, knowledge and skill in using them.  The below is a nice PDF file of making one:http://www.qajaqusa.org/QK/makegreen2.pdfTools needed mentioned in the above:hand saw a knifea drawknife (I have an idea what this is)a plane (Sheesh, now I have to make a Cessna???  Just kidding! :))a spoke shave (no idea what this is)
This is like a block plane but the blade is mounted in a handle sideways so you can use 2 hands and hone the wood while pulling it toward you, I don't even know if they have them around anymore, I still have my Grandfathers
Surform-type perforated metal tools (what?)
This is most likey like a rasp but looks like a cross between a file and a cheesegrater they have em at the box stores...sandpaper (ooooh, I have some!)0000 grade steel wool (can get some)Now, how much are we talking about for me to get the above tools, namely, the specialty tools like the drawknife, plane, spoke shave, metal tools?  Would I have to go to a specialty woodworking store? Anybody know of a good one in northern NJ? I think I know of a lumbar place that has western red cedar but tools would be a new domain for me.Jay
A board that long and wide at the ends will probably be better if laminated together out of several pieces of wood hope this helps

Thanks guys, GVA, that's exactly how the more expensive Greenland paddles are, a 5-7-9 part laminate, using a harder (and heavier wood) for the core and then lighter laminates for the outsides and then a real durable hardwood for the tips. Traditionally the Greenland folks would use ivory or whale bone for the ends for use in smashing through ice, but I don't think most of us will ever need that functionality so most paddlers just stick to wood. Plus, ivory would probably be illegal now. But for my first paddle, I'm keeping it as simple as possible, so a solid piece of WRC is probably what I'm going to use.

Jay

Jay H said:

nansen_paddle2.gif

Tools needed mentioned in the above:

hand saw- What type? Lots of different options here. Anywhere from $1 to $30 depending on type, condition, and where you buy it. Pay attention to the handle. The older fruitwood handles are much more comfortable than the later beech, and later plastic. As the saw becomes newer, handles get more and more blocky.

a knife- Why? I think the spokshave will do what the knife will.

a drawknife (I have an idea what this is)- Flea markets are the best place I've found for drawknives with a decent amount of meat left. Figure around $20 for a good one.

a plane (Sheesh, now I have to make a Cessna??? Just kidding! :))- Where to start LOL! There are hundreds of types! Might want a jack with a heavily cambered (curved) blade to remove wood quickly. A Smoother will clean it up. Jacks like a pre WWII vintage Stanley run $15-45, Smoothers like a #4 of the same vintage will run you $10-50.

a spoke shave (no idea what this is)-Think a plane with a really short sole. There are many different types of shaves so be sure what you want. Figure around $15 for a vintage one.

Surform-type perforated metal tools (what?)- Fancy rasp. Surforms are like big handled cheese graders you would use in the kitchen. Microplane is another popular tool of this type. I'd probably go with a rasp, but that's me. I'mnot sure what they cost. Coarse cut metal files like bastard cuts work well for smoothing too.

sandpaper (ooooh, I have some!)- Shouldn't need much with the planes, etc.

0000 grade steel wool (can get some)

Now, how much are we talking about for me to get the above tools, namely, the specialty tools like the drawknife, plane, spoke shave, metal tools?

All of these tools have a learning curve. Most of which I believe is learning how to sharpen them and "tune" or set them up. Mostly sharpening. Sharpening materials can be costly in their own right. I gave price ranges for good tools from finding them at an estate sale to buying from a dealer. You may want to buy them from a dealer with a good reputation to save time. Dealers will also save you the expense of buying garbage. There is a good amount of it out there. Some dealers will go a good ways to make sure the tool is sharp and adjusted properly in order to help you along. Try to find somebody who can show you how to use the tools. Handtools can be discouraging, especially if the blade is dull. If you want some leads, let me know and I can give you a few leads for dealers and vendors. Find a good woodworking board with a handtool section because there will be questions. I like Woodnet, but Saw Mill Creek and WoodCentral are pretty popular too.

Good luck!
Matt

Jay

Hi Matt, Actually, I've been busy cutting wood, cut, split, and stacks about a cord the past two days, but it's just too hot in the afternoon to do that and wear protection so I'll wait to do more til it cools.

I found a commercial greenland paddle making that offers classes for $125 and they provide the cedar 2x4s and some tools, so all I may need to buy is a small planer, so I think I might do that, since it seems that the cost of tools is pretty much going to wipe out any savings I do myself and with the class, I'll will be able to learn from a pro....

I'll check out those websites that you've mentioned though when I have time.. thanks!

Jay

The class sounds ideal. Please post some pics of the paddle making process!

I hope to find some wood and start cutting and splitting next weekend.

Matt

OK, The class, if I take it doesn't look to be until mid june/july so it might be awhile. of course I might just get impatient enough to try some out on my own but I don't know.

The picture doesn't show all the 3D aspects as the loom (or part of the paddle you actually hold) is typically ovalized such that the oval is flat where as the blade is (of course) perpendicular to the ovalized loom so we're talking some 3D curve to it, which I assume is the idea of the spoke shave as it allows you to carve a curve well, at least better than a block planer.

Jay

While a block plane will allow you to shape a curve better than a bench plane, it's not the tool I'd use since the flat sole will still work to flatten the piece. A spokeshave would work, but I see it as a tool to clean up the cut. You will not be able to hog out the shape quickly or easily. I'd reach for a rasp. A rasp will take the wood down to shape very quickly. Then you can use a shave or sandpaper to clean it up. You will not have to watch the grain with a rasp either.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.