1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Woody mustash

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by mustash29, Jun 16, 2013.

1. mustash29

mustash29 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE CT
    My last name is Beard.

At 18.5, after boot camp, I was in my 3rd week of navy school. Instructor handed back a math test and refered to me as "Seaman Mustache." Needless to say, I never lived that down. Just to spite my buddies, I did this, but had to mispell it so it would fit.

:cool:

[​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mustash29

Loc:
    SE CT
    A well placed blob of JB weld on that cracked coil mounting stud beefed it right up. I swapped the flywheel and coil from the $10 parts saw and we have IGNITION. :)

If only it wasn't pouring rain today. :mad:
    PapaDave and Backwoods Savage like this.
  3. mustash29

Loc:
    SE CT
    Another successfull day of storm damage clean up.

We got a good solid 1/2 cord today, 2900 lbs in the bed. :cool:

I was not too impressed with the noodling performance. The big rounds I cut 1/2 way, then whacked 'em with the maul. The 1/2 were cut 1/4 and whacked. It's all split & stacked already. We are over 1/2 way done with 14/15 wood now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Joful likes this.
  4. mustash29

Loc:
    SE CT
    Then we topped the load off with some easier to process limb wood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. chvymn99

chvymn99 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kansas
    Nice truck load.
  6. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    Are you weighing the truck as a requirement or just rubbing it in to the Ford guys;)
    Joful likes this.
  7. mustash29

Loc:
    SE CT
    This stuff is from near my work, behind a locked gate. I have to pick up & drop off the key, so it's easy to drive over the scales. It's a great way to learn "how much = how much the truck sags".

When I started hauling in my S-10 years ago, I "calibrated" the amount my hitch dropped / rose when I was hauling bags of lawn lime. That gave me a good idea how much wood I could load without "overly" taxing the suspension. A bed full was more than enough weight, so I installed a set of add a leafs. ;lol
    Joful likes this.
  8. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Awesome tons of pics!
  9. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia

Your first photo is noodling. The third photo is ripping. Ripping is painfully slow compared to noodling, at least in ash and oak, where I have the most experience doing this. When noodling, your saw should be throwing a rooster tale of 5" long strings (noodles) so fast it'll sometimes jam up in the chain guard. The photo may be deceiving, but it looks to me like your chain is throwing small chips / dust, even when noodling. If so, that chain is dull.

Some sharpen a chain every tank of gas, others every two tanks. I'm not so fanatical, but I've never gone more than half a day on the same chain. Get yourself three loops of chain for that saw, so you can swap them out as they become dull. Then, you can sharpen at home in the evening, rather than wasting time doing it in the woods.
    BoiledOver and ailanthus like this.
  10. mustash29

Loc:
    SE CT
    Cross, noodle & rip cuts. Makes sense.

The chain is a stihl full chisel, with about 3 cords on it. I still cross cuts fine but is probably in need of a dressing, it was throwing a lot of dust.

Next time I'll just take the 31 Ton MTD along.
  11. mustash29

Loc:
    SE CT
    I just finished an 87.5 hr stretch: sun, mon, tues, wed night shift, barely slept thurs due to the tree crews hacking away at the power lines in front of my house, then fri, sat, sun day shift. 12 hr shifts + shift change / turnover usually means 12.5 to 12.75 hrs per day.

Gotta love summer vacation season and the OT covering for each other. We're basically either on vacation or covering someone else.

So I started MY week off yesterday, and went to "work" and filled the truck with another 3100 lb of oak. My other half was working so I drug the splitter along. I would up with 4 very good rows in the bed, the last one was sitting on the tailgate a few inches.

We had some quick leftovers for dinner and got it all stacked.

Sorry, no pics this time, I didn't think about the camera untill we were sweeping the bedliner out. I told her we had to put it back in the truck to take pics. !!!

I've gotten 2.5 cord out of these 2 trees so far, probably another bed full or two yet to go when I finish the limb stuff.
    basod likes this.
  12. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    Used to call it trading days off, kicker is my company has a policy where you can purchase an additional week of vacation and all the guys on the opposite shift participated in the program
  13. mustash29

Loc:
    SE CT
    An excavation contractor is clearing land for a 12 unit subdivision. He had a post on craigslist for 145 c/s/d or 100 c/d. I ordered 10 cord so we got it for 85.

Unable to post pics at this time, having some pc issues.
  14. aussiedog3

aussiedog3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Wow, nice work. Thanks for sharing all the pics.
    You know you are not making all of the Stihl fans on here very happy by showing off that Craftsman Beast!
    Us Craftsman guys need to stick together.
  15. mustash29

Loc:
    SE CT
    I've been listening to everyone rave about how awesome the Fiskars X-27 is, and keeping my eye on the prices.

Sears had it listed on the web for $44, same price as Amazon. Went to the local Sears at the mall today and it rings up as 58. No way man, web says 44. Oh, we match the online price. Cha-ching.

My 8 lb maul is 33" long. The X-27 is 36". Other than having to re-learn my aim, that sucker is indeed AMAZING. It takes fresh cut red oak and SCARES it into splits. ;lol
  16. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    No disrespect meant but you would save a lot of time if you stopped to sharpen that saw chain a bit more often. I also believe you would save a lot more time and even effort if you stopped the noodling and split the logs. It does look like you have the tool for doing that too.
  17. mustash29

Loc:
    SE CT
    I'm still learning the art of hand sharpening & doing it efficiently. Need more practice.

Those big rounds were a bear to move, wound up towing the splitter in there to break them up.
  18. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    ... or stop to swap the chain. I prefer not wasting valuable daylight time in the woods fiddling with a file. I carry a toolbox full of individually boxed chains, at least 3 for each of my saws. As soon as a chain starts going dull, I swap it out. I do my sharpening on a chain grinder in my warm garage one evening during the week, while listening to the radio.
    BoiledOver likes this.
  19. BoiledOver

BoiledOver Member

Loc:
    Right Here
    My way also. Using a cheapo harbor freight sharpener and 6 chains all the same age and usage means adjust one time and sharpen all. They will all die together and be replaced as a team.
  20. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    You can easily bust those monster Red Oak rounds into quarters or smaller with your new X27. Ne need to drag you hydro splitter around. In fact, with some practice, you could probably split all that Red Oak just as fast by hand as you can with the machine...and you will be able to hear the birds chirping while you work.
  21. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    [​IMG] Next time you are at the saw shop pick up one of these sharpening kits in the correct size for your chain. Makes sharpening pretty easy. Any brand will do, this is the image I got from Google.
    ailanthus and TreePointer like this.
  22. mustash29

Loc:
    SE CT
    I have a sharpening kit like that, but it takes forever. I believe my files are cheap & dull.
  23. ailanthus

ailanthus Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Shen Valley, VA
    With some practice, a quick touch-up really shouldnt take much longer than swapping a chain. A couple extra dollars for quality files does make a big difference.

Great thread , BTW!