Wooo finally got plans approved

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiber

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2009
Philadelphia
Woo finally got plans approved! It's been over six weeks and all my quotes have expired!

The good news is that soon I'll have an actual woodstove setup. The bad news is I get to get quotes all over again and I'm sure the prices have gone up. :\

Here's a funny story I'll share now that I know I'm through the worst of it: I'm all about being legal and safe, but I had petitioned my state farm insurance agent as to if we needed a permit or not somewhere around week four. He's a nice guy and they haven't broken my balls over my questionable interpretation of vehicle code in PA. They sent me a safe woodburning packet and a "safety checklist". The woodburning packet was hopelessly outdated but cute, it had charcoal or pencil drawings of a manly looking woodsburning man who looked strikingly like tony danza as a lumberjack. It was very Whos The Boss. The manual also features buck stoves and pre-glass door deathboxes and makes no mention of UL listing. He said "well, we can't advise you to do anything illegal, but we conduct our own inspections". Sigh.

Any tips on framing in the thimble or just cut the stud and toe in the crossmember?

You might luck out . . . some companies might still honor their original quotes providing the prices haven't gone up a whole lot in the past few weeks.

I've seen a few of those outdated brochures myself . . . in fact of all of the ones out there the ones from State Farm are actually better than most . . . dated with some funky looking stoves and pictures . . . maybe I'll scan and post some of those comical pictures a little later.

Does your fire company hand out any of them also?

tiber said:
Does your fire company hand out any of them also?

Yeah . . . they're free and believe it or not they're better than many other woodstove brochures I've seen printed . . . printed by some companies and fire prevention organizations (which shall remain nameless) which would have a hard time telling you the difference between a woodstove and a fireplace.

On the flipside, some info is dated . . . and the pics are rather comical in these brochures.

For example, they have an inventory checklist brochure (which is good to have before you have a fire so you can itemize things) . . . but in this brochure it lists valuable items such as calculators, card tables and clock radios . . . all of which are pretty darn cheap . . . and then there are the very dated items such as the tape recorder, sewing machine (no offense to Bobbin' but you just don't see many of these anymore) and typewriters.

Is this the burly looking guy you were talking about?

Me . . . I'm wondering why he looks so happy . . . I mean his wood is not split and he obviously has an issue with the draft since he is surrounded by a cloud of wood smoke. ;) :)

Attachments

• Statefarmman.jpg
    Statefarmman.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 206
Or maybe you're talking about this guy . . . although this guy looks more like someone stuck in the 1980s and not really a burly-looking lumberjack of a guy.

Attachments

• creepyguy.jpg
    creepyguy.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 189
I do get a kick out of the stoves they show . . .

A circulating stove that looks like an Ashley-type of stove . . . radiant stove that looks like an antique . . . and the free-standing fireplace that looks like something from the 1960s-1970s. It may be time to update the pics with some more modern looking stoves . . .

Attachments

• stovesmisc.jpg
    stovesmisc.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 194
As I said the brochures aren't bad . . . some of the pics are dated and some of their info is a bit generic. I did find a few issues.

"Don't leave stove burning unattended or when children are present." . . . Hmmm -- guess I would be in trouble here since I routinely get the fire going and leave . . . on the flipside I never burn when children are present . . . of course that may be due to the fact that I have no children.

"The best cleaning program is to have a professional chimney sweep do it." . . . Hogwash . . . anyone can easily learn to do as good, if not a better job, of cleaning their chimney with the right tools and a minimum amount of training.

"Although more expensive,plate steel and cast iron stoves last longer and retain heat for longer periods." . . . Not quite sure what they're comparing this against . . . woodstoves made out of sheet metal . . . certainly not soapstone . . . which isn't even mentioned.

jake youre the winner - thats the packet i got in the mail. i plan on scanning the whole thing so that all may get to know Wood Burning Tony Danza.

tiber said:
jake youre the winner - thats the packet i got in the mail. i plan on scanning the whole thing so that all may get to know Wood Burning Tony Danza.

My wife says I'm a "winner" all the time . . . but I'm thinking she doesn't mean it as a compliment since it's usually after I've done something stupid. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.