Wooooood From Spaaaaace!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cross Cut Saw

Feeling the Heat
Mar 25, 2012
Boulder, CO
So I was wondering the other day if google maps had updated the satellite image of my house since I had moved in and started "collecting" firewood.
I looked at the image and was surprised to see that it was a new image from after I moved in but it must have been early last year because in it I don't have a wood pile at the end of my driveway yet.

Then I couldn't help but wonder what some of the wood piles of you hoarders out there look like from above. (I know, I have a problem)...

wood from space.png

Your mission if you choose to accept is to show us a view of your wood piles that until now only astronauts and the CIA have bothered to look at...

So what I did was:
Looked up my address on google maps.
Pressed the "print screen" button.
Opened the "Paint" program that came on my computer.
Selected "Paste".
Cropped the image to show my house and put some arrows on the image to show where my wood piles are now.

My house has the "A" over it, I marked where my wood piles are now with arrows and I put an extra arrow by my neighbors house to point out his wood pile under the blue tarp (I'm VERY jealous).

Show us your woooooood from spaaaaace!
May the force be with you, live long and prosper, nanu nanu!

And for those of you that are paying attention, yes, I do live at the intersection of Dummer and Dummer St.

Nice
Turn off the porch lights
& grass needs mowed LOL :)
dummer.jpg

Mine is an old pic, can see the woodshed roof & a short stack

house 2011 Mar16- 5 Apr A.JPG

Wow, my pic is from about a month ago. Taken just before my last two loads. My honey locust and last cord of ash are missing. Come on Google, get it together. Can't figure out how to post map from my tablet, but I'll try to do it later on my computer.

Reactions: Cross Cut Saw
Ours is an old picture. I've circled in red some pines we cut off in December 2011. There was more cut further to the right too but I just chose this spot as you can just see a little bit of our house in white. Can't see barn or even a wood pile. This is probably about 1/4 or maybe 1/3 of our property. We are on a dead end road too and as you can tell from the picture, we have a sand dune. That is why those pines were planted originally. First planting of them was in 1963.

Backwoods Savage home.jpg

Reactions: Cross Cut Saw
Dennis, looking closely I can see your pile of worn out milk crates from years past. I think I even see a couple of the old wire baskets that glass bottles of milk used to come in. Probably not as comfortable as a modern milk crate, but I bet there's still some great memories.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
;lol Good eyesight! Here is a picture of some of the pines cut off. This one from ground level.

After the chipping-2.JPG

The images for my piles aren't terribly clear, so here's a Google Earth shot from higher up, with a sense of the lay of the land. Top of the hill is about 1,200ft, house is at about 600ft. Tractor only gets to the base of the steep land, about at the 's' in 'woods'.
WoodPiles.jpg

39706703.png Here is my wood from space. I think it was only around 4 cords at that time. Picture is from last year and I swear I don't have a blue tarp for my woodshed roof anymore. ;em The hole is the pole barn roof is still there though.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
The truly scary thing is that with GOOD satellite shots, we could ID the species of those stacks. Or so I hear...

Hidden by tree canopy in the normal satellite, but you can see some of them hiding behind the stone wall in this birds-eye view. I try to keep everything stacked away from the house / no wood near the house during bug and rodent season.

untitled.JPG

This is from 2 years ago. I've added 3 rows since then....

Attachments

• me.jpg
    me.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 104
Status
Not open for further replies.