Word of advise (my opinion) about small engines.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Giles

Burning Hunk
Nov 25, 2011
N.W. Alabama
This is only my personal opinion based on small engine repair over many years.---
When purchasing a Leaf Blower, or String Trimmer, just to name two---notice where the starting cord is located. Many lower priced units have crank bearings on one side of the crank. The other end can have the carburetor attached or it will have a solid plate. An engine with this design is much cheater to manufacture then one with crank bearings on both sides of the crank shaft throw. The good thing about this design is that the rod can simply be removed without pressing the crank apart, as with double bearings.
I mentioned "starting cord" because with a double bearing crankshaft engine, it is licated on the outside end of the engine. An example would be a string trimmer---start cord will be located on the same end of the engine as the shaft (between engine and shaft) on the lower priced units.
I only have double bearing units because I have found that they vibrate less and thus seldom have an engine oil leak. I have owned a few lower priced units and had good success but the vibration required perodic tightening of all attaching screws.
I am only giving advise based on my experience and others may disagree.

Brands? The store won't let me take'em apart before I buy'em.

BrotherBart said:
If you will read my post again, you will see that I stated to look at the starter rope location.
Most of the higher priced units--Husky--- Echo-- stihl--Redmax and others have the start rope on the flywheel side of the engine (like a lawn mower)
Lower priced units like Homelite--poulan--Ryobi--Craftsman and others have the rope located inline with the drive side of engine.

Perhaps it's cause it is late, but I've read through that about 7 or 8 times and I'm still confused. I hate to say it, but I almost feel as if you need to draw me a picture, or maybe label something. An example of a trimmer that you can determine is a single crank bearing would be nice.

I was not aware that an engine could only have a bearing on one side. I thought there were always two; If the starter is on the same side as the flywheel, then there is a bearing where the shaft comes through on the opposite side.

See what I mean, I'm confused.

Danno77 said:
Ok, I'm with you now. Here's an example of what you are talking about...
http://tinyurl.com/6rl6oza
Thanks for the link!!---Actually the single bearing engine will, in most cases, have two dearings sandwiched together. It is obvious that the crank supported on both ends is superior!

BrotherBart said:

Pretty much all "lower-tier"- w/prices much lower than the best units. Habitat: typically big-box store, or curbside for pickup.
Once they cut one corner, others will be snipped also. Sad part is that some expensive bits get tossed when one of these
craps out, like a diaphragm carb.
Cantilever cranks usually also have stamped rods riding on them. Some of these go POOF in 50 hrs or less.

CTYank said:
BrotherBart said:

Pretty much all "lower-tier"- w/prices much lower than the best units. Habitat: typically big-box store, or curbside for pickup.
Once they cut one corner, others will be snipped also. Sad part is that some expensive bits get tossed when one of these
craps out, like a diaphragm carb.
Cantilever cranks usually also have stamped rods riding on them. Some of these go POOF in 50 hrs or less.

Yes and also I have witnessed many cracked blocks

OK. I feel better now. If I pay more then it is better.

Give me a break here. If you post based on experience that some things are junk and others aren't, pony up and tells us which ones are what.

As to the string trimmers I would be real interested in seeing which ones don't have the flywheel on the same side as the rope start.

BrotherBart said:

Give me a break here. If you post based on experience that some things are junk and others aren't, pony up and tells us which ones are what.

As to the string trimmers I would be real interested in seeing which ones don't have the flywheel on the same side as the rope start.

I copied and pasted this post on FOUR different forums that I have been a member of for years. With at least twenty replies, You are the ONLY one that has had skeptical remarks.
I never used the word JUNK--USELESS--BAD etc., anywhere in my post. I also stated I have had a few that gave good service that were cheaper units.
I was really surprised that so many people knew this and totally agreed with me.

BrotherBart said:

It's not that the flywheel is inthe same side as the starter. It's that the driveshaft is on the same side as the flywheel and starter. That didn't make sense to me at first cause I was picturing a lawnmower or chainsaw. Take a look at this and zoom in, maybe it will help... It's the same trimmer as above, but you can zoom in for better resolution on this site.
http://tinyurl.com/7fy8x4d

Of far greater concern than the bearings is re-roping a starter on a $%$ing front recoil trimmer motor.

While sitting in a warranty update seminar for MTD, we discussed these at length. MTD's policy at the time was to replace rather than repair any unit that exceeded 2/3 the cost of new. The gentleman giving the class explained the procedure and estimated times to replace the starter rope on a front-recoil trimmer and after he was through, a hand went up in the back. "Wouldn't that repair exceed 2/3 of the cost of the unit?"

Needless to say, the whole room was rolling. :coolsmirk:

Moral of the story, avoid these units like the plague.

Status
Not open for further replies.