Word to the wise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a '69 Super Beetle that never needed oil change, just more oil. We had that bad boy tuned to blowback everytime you reved the engine and dropped back down to idle. left 2 black marks on the bumper of anyone who got too close at a red light. with current vehicle and previous 2 (All Saabs '85 900s, '91 900s, and '99 9-3) have been on 7000 mile schedule. All have taken many many miles and only gone away because I wanted them to.

Delta-T said:
(All Saabs '85 900s, '91 900s, and '99 9-3) have been on 7000 mile schedule. All have taken many many miles and only gone away because I wanted them to.

I understand the '99, but why would you ever want the 85 and 91 to go away. I have a 92 3 door I can't let go of even though it is time.

I think the over 100K oil change interval was a joke. I don't believe it nor should any of you. Its not that its impossible, its that your engine has cylinder walls that carry oil up to be burnt and you have valve seals that drop oil down to be burnt. Even if all you did was top the oil off, after 30K you would have the thickest unpumpable sludge in the pan. A friend of mine ran a 318 grand cherokee in this manner for 30K at which point it needed a new engine.

NoPaint said:
I think the over 100K oil change interval was a joke. I don't believe it nor should any of you. Its not that its impossible, its that your engine has cylinder walls that carry oil up to be burnt and you have valve seals that drop oil down to be burnt. Even if all you did was top the oil off, after 30K you would have the thickest unpumpable sludge in the pan. A friend of mine ran a 318 grand cherokee in this manner for 30K at which point it needed a new engine.

I find that very hard to believe. Much more likely that he ran low on oil or out of oil altogether.

cycloptic pendulum said:
just remembered a CONSUMER REPORTS article which recommended oil change @ 7000 miles

Exxon recomends every 3000 miles.

SolarAndWood said:
Delta-T said:
(All Saabs '85 900s, '91 900s, and '99 9-3) have been on 7000 mile schedule. All have taken many many miles and only gone away because I wanted them to.

I understand the '99, but why would you ever want the 85 and 91 to go away. I have a 92 3 door I can't let go of even though it is time.

I dearly miss the '85, though it was really underpowered for its weight (8 valve non-turbo), would have much prfered the 86 (when they switched to 16 valve on the S). It was the 4 door non-hatch so it was quite ugly and I loved it. At 283,000 miles the interior was beat to hell, the headliner had been replace (by me) with a Bob Marley T-Shirt, and my brothers ass had broken the springs in the front passenger seat, so it was time for a change.We drained it of oil and put about another 800 miles on it before it just wouldn't go anymore. The '91 was a 3 door, i liked the car, but I had a kid so the 3 door became impracticle for loading and unloading the seat, so I got the '99. I enjoy the shorter throw on the shifter, shorter clutch, and the turbo, but the interior is not really very......SAAB, i guess. Its just not ugly enough for me. Car drives fine and all. Would love to get an '86 SPG, or a late 60's Sonnet, maybe with the 1.7L 2-stroker.I'm very excited that Saab got bought by Koenigsegg. Hope they get rid of the cup holders on new models.

Status
Not open for further replies.