Words of hope: progress on oil extraction from tar sands

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Pretty interesting. That method could save huuuge amounts of natural gas and water used to seperate oil from the tar sands currently. That's a game changer from cost perspective. And from the photos & impact analyses of the massive wastewater lakes up in Alberta I'd say any way to reduce volume & toxicity of the wastewater is a big help. I wouldn't go so far as to say this would make tar sands extraction low impact though. It still needs to be dug out, oil extracted, replaced and the product requires more processing than other oil. Then the GH gasses from combustion...
I wonder if they'll figure out how to do something like that in-situ so all the sand/shale stays in place & the hydrocarbons can be piped out like reg oil wells...

midwestcoast said:
I wonder if they'll figure out how to do something like that in-situ so all the sand/shale stays in place & the hydrocarbons can be piped out like reg oil wells...

That's an interesting thought.

If this can be ramped up on a large scale Canada should be all over this,sounds too simple though as if "why hasn't someone at the oil company thought of this already?

Looks promising, would be nice to see a large production model. I wonder if sea water could be used and avoid the use of fresh water altogether. Just need to get some ocean frontage up here in the 'bert.

I like the idea, not just for oil extraction from tar sands, but for helping cleanups after disasters at sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.