Work area/next year's wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagey

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2008
Middle TN
I finally remembered to take the camera with me to the barn today. My paternal grandmother owns an 80 acre cattle farm here on the beautiful Cumberland Plateau. It was my great grandfather's land many years ago, and my goal is to buy it at some point in the future to keep it in the family. Anyway, this is where we work up our wood and store it until it's ready to go in the shed at home.

The barn:
barn.jpg

Inside:
insidebarn.jpg

Next year's pile of mixed hardwoods:
stack1.jpg

Angle 2:
stack2.jpg

Homemade/redneck spiltter:
splitter.jpg

I like your improvised splitting table Pagey...cool barn too.

savageactor7 said:
I like your improvised splitting table Pagey...cool barn too.

My grandfather put that together before he passed away. He was always welding something together, didn't matter what. The man just wanted to weld! The barn needs some work, but we'll get started on that this spring. It's a great spot to work on your wood supply. Peaceful, too.

Pagey said:
The barn needs some work, but we'll get started on that this spring. It's a great spot to work on your wood supply. Peaceful, too.

Looks like a happy place to be. I hope you can keep it in the family.

Very nice stash.

Now THAT is a place I could hang out all day at! Sunny warm with cross-airflow...the smell of hay and wood and...country stuff...sigghhhhh.

Looks good Pagey. You can even work if it is raining. Very nice.

Backwoods Savage said:
Looks good Pagey. You can even work if it is raining. Very nice.

Indeed, that is perhaps the biggest benefit of the barn. We had over 12" of rain in December, so the barn made it possible to crank out 2+ cords that would have otherwise remained in rounds for the month. December was so soggy, and although we certainly needed the rain, I don't miss walking in a swamp every time I go to the wood shed.

Yes there is a real beauty in function, if you have the right stuff to appreciate it.

A lot of people would look at those pictures and see a dilapidated, possibly rat infested, old barn, where you want to keep your kids away from for fear it might cave in on them. LOL

Others, like the ones who have already replied and obviously Pagey, can see it as a beautifully functional, yet peaceful place to hang out and get away from anxieties of the world for a while.
I'm glad to be among the latter group :)

LOL. The kids were down at the barn with me yesterday, actually. There's a little pond just to the right, and it was frozen. They were walking around the edges on the ice, much to my chagrin. My youngest stepdaughter was throwing dried cow pies across the surface. Dad and I laughed and asked her if she realized what she was throwing. She said, "I thought it was dirt!" She's up for any kind of adventure, and at 7 she really enjoys operating the lever on the splitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.