1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Work boot recommendations

Post in 'The Gear' started by rdust, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Ductape

Ductape Member

Loc:
    Central NH
    I wear Chippewa logger boots. I find them plenty comfortable for working in, but would shy away from wearing them in a marathon or tri-athelon. I'm extra happy with them since late winter when I was cutting up a tree that came down in a big wind storm. I was cutting a small limb, about three inches in diameter...... had my foot on it, but apparently not well enough. The chain grabbed, limb rolled up and over my boot taking the saw with it. It happend in the fraction of a second, no time to react. I'm happy to report all my toes are still 100% intact, thanks to my steel toed Chippewa boots !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. chad3

chad3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeast CT
    I wear a pair of Chippewa's as well and have been very happy from the get go. I do recommend not getting insulated ones and a good pair of wool socks.
    Chad
  3. Mass. Wine Guy

Mass. Wine Guy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern Massachusetts
    I don't think Red Wings are half as good as they used to be, though the ones made here look very good.

I bought a pair of Magnum boots last year that are very comfortable, and were around $100.
  4. KYrob

KYrob Member

Loc:
    KY
    I wear Carolina Comfort boots for 60 hours a week at work and a few hours each day after work. Been wearing them for 12 years and have found no others that are as comfortable from the first time you put them on.

Rob
  5. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Steel toed boots suck. If you want to save your toes try grippier gloves.

Also, FYI, Chippewa and Red Wing are made in the same factory (the American made ones, anyway). White, Western Chief, RedWing, Danner, Mason, Chippewa. . . they're all good as long as their the US made variety.

If you'll settle for Chinese boots it's pretty tough to beat Georgia or Wolverine.

JMHO
  6. Bigg_Redd

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Those are pretty sweet boots, but what I do is not hit my feet with my saw. So far, so good.
  7. TMonter

TMonter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hayden, ID
    +1 on the Georgia Boots here. I have a pair I love that I use for yard work, splitting wood and out woodcutting. They are comfortable and having a stacked heel is nice when jumping around on steep hillsides.
  8. jlasserton

jlasserton New Member

Loc:
    Nashville
    I have Red Wing boots, but I also like Justin boots for when I am meeting clients or have meetings. The ones I have are a little dresser. They are a nice transition.

Red Wing
  9. chad3

chad3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeast CT
    What ever you do, do not get the comfort soles on the redwings. I tore them apart in less than a week. Felt fine, but not at all long lasting. Have a pair of Redwing hikers that I love.
    Chad
  10. RowCropRenegade

RowCropRenegade Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwest, Ohio
    I really like my Ecco work boots. Not steel toed, but I farm and wear when spraying for sure. Gore-tech, light and extremely durable. They feel like tennis shoes compared to my old red wings. They are pricey, 200 a pair. Wouldn't wear any other boot.

JMO
  11. flhpi

flhpi Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Southern Ohio
    RedWing. I have several pair and I take them in for a sole replacement when needed. For the toe of the boot my dealer sells a Line X / Rhino liner application that works great.
  12. Spikem

Spikem Member

Loc:
    Middleboro, MA, USA
    What is the purpose of this?
  13. nosaudioil

nosaudioil Member

Loc:
    coastal ME
    A rhinoceros airliner is used mainly for the purpose of moving rhinos from there and there.
  14. Bigg_Redd

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    200 hunj is a minimum for decent boots, IMO, unless you'll wear Chinese made boots, which I won't. Even Chinese boots are $150+.
  15. Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mid Atlantic
    I got a pair of Wolverine steel toe boots at TSC a little over a year ago. Probably spent around 80+ dollars on them. Would not be surprised to learn they are Chinese. My first steel toe boots ever. So far, they are wearing reasonably well, and I'm still happy with them. I'm not wearing them daily, but I do wear them more days than not.

I spent a lot of time trying on various brands. These just fit and felt the best, that particular day. They're comfortable. I'm willing to spend an hour or more trying on boots, if necessary, to get a pair that fit right. I like 'em enough that if the heels should wear excessively, I'd consider having a decent pair of Vibram soles put on those uppers (about 50+ dollars). I'm assuming you could still do that with steel toes (?)
  16. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire