Work boot recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wear Chippewa logger boots. I find them plenty comfortable for working in, but would shy away from wearing them in a marathon or tri-athelon. I'm extra happy with them since late winter when I was cutting up a tree that came down in a big wind storm. I was cutting a small limb, about three inches in diameter...... had my foot on it, but apparently not well enough. The chain grabbed, limb rolled up and over my boot taking the saw with it. It happend in the fraction of a second, no time to react. I'm happy to report all my toes are still 100% intact, thanks to my steel toed Chippewa boots !

Boots002.jpg

Boots001.jpg

I wear a pair of Chippewa's as well and have been very happy from the get go. I do recommend not getting insulated ones and a good pair of wool socks.
Chad

I wear Carolina Comfort boots for 60 hours a week at work and a few hours each day after work. Been wearing them for 12 years and have found no others that are as comfortable from the first time you put them on.

Rob

rdust said:
I'm looking for a good boot with some decent support, somewhat comfortable with a steel toe. I'm tired of dropping wood on my toes. :)

Steel toed boots suck. If you want to save your toes try grippier gloves.

Also, FYI, Chippewa and Red Wing are made in the same factory (the American made ones, anyway). White, Western Chief, RedWing, Danner, Mason, Chippewa. . . they're all good as long as their the US made variety.

If you'll settle for Chinese boots it's pretty tough to beat Georgia or Wolverine.

JMHO

BrotherBart said:
If it is just for hustling wood around in the yard pretty much any steel toe boot. For running a saw I always wear my Matterhorn Miner's boots. They have Kevlar lining and a steel metatarsal guard to keep the saw from going through the top of your instep and majorly changing your life.

Of course they cost four hundred bucks but feet are worth a lot more.

Those are pretty sweet boots, but what I do is not hit my feet with my saw. So far, so good.

+1 on the Georgia Boots here. I have a pair I love that I use for yard work, splitting wood and out woodcutting. They are comfortable and having a stacked heel is nice when jumping around on steep hillsides.

What ever you do, do not get the comfort soles on the redwings. I tore them apart in less than a week. Felt fine, but not at all long lasting. Have a pair of Redwing hikers that I love.
Chad

I really like my Ecco work boots. Not steel toed, but I farm and wear when spraying for sure. Gore-tech, light and extremely durable. They feel like tennis shoes compared to my old red wings. They are pricey, 200 a pair. Wouldn't wear any other boot.

JMO

RedWing. I have several pair and I take them in for a sole replacement when needed. For the toe of the boot my dealer sells a Line X / Rhino liner application that works great.

flhpi said:
RedWing. I have several pair and I take them in for a sole replacement when needed. For the toe of the boot my dealer sells a Line X / Rhino liner application that works great.

What is the purpose of this?

RowCropRenegade said:
I really like my Ecco work boots. Not steel toed, but I farm and wear when spraying for sure. Gore-tech, light and extremely durable. They feel like tennis shoes compared to my old red wings. They are pricey, 200 a pair. Wouldn't wear any other boot.

JMO

200 hunj is a minimum for decent boots, IMO, unless you'll wear Chinese made boots, which I won't. Even Chinese boots are $150+.

I got a pair of Wolverine steel toe boots at TSC a little over a year ago. Probably spent around 80+ dollars on them. Would not be surprised to learn they are Chinese. My first steel toe boots ever. So far, they are wearing reasonably well, and I'm still happy with them. I'm not wearing them daily, but I do wear them more days than not.

I spent a lot of time trying on various brands. These just fit and felt the best, that particular day. They're comfortable. I'm willing to spend an hour or more trying on boots, if necessary, to get a pair that fit right. I like 'em enough that if the heels should wear excessively, I'd consider having a decent pair of Vibram soles put on those uppers (about 50+ dollars). I'm assuming you could still do that with steel toes (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.