work boots!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric Johnson said:
I have an old pair of Labonville logging boots that I'm trying to baby into the next decade. My only complaint is that they have high heels, which tend to get caught in the slash and trip me up. I'd prefer a flatter sole, but I've never seen a pair of logging boots like that.

Thats why i went to the Matterhorn boots is because of the heel .

earthharvester said:
Roospike you are right about that. Some of the guys at work think I am nuts to spend 325+$ on a pair of boots.But I get 2+ years out of my WESCOS and they are bying new boots every 2-6 mounths.
So in turn the cheaper boots that dont last and even hurt your feet , cause back ache and are heavy end up costing twice the price of a great set of boots in the first place. I have a friend that buys boots every 3-4 months , hurt the feet , he has back ache and spends about $100. a shot per set of boots. If if i can get 2 years out of my boots ( longer most of the time like 3 years ) at $329. then in the same 2 years my friend is spending around $600. and is in pain . Kinda a no brainer you would think . I always say "you get what you pay for & so buy right the first time" Also , My brother has always bought $100.-$120. Redwings boots and has for what ........15 years or so. I always told him to change the boots he buys and up grade because of all his back problems . Now here 15 years later he is going to the doctor because of his back .........Dr. tell him to get a better set of boots for his feet . HELLO !?

Eric Johnson said:
Bet you be looking fly with those boots on, BB.

Put on my gator steps, toss a bag'a premium in my Harmon, sit down on my egg chair and fire up the Mac. I be stylin.

Work boots? Don't need no stinkin work boots!

BrotherBart said:
There is nothing that feels as good as a custom made pair of boots. Any boots. I have a pair of custom made Allen Edmonds alligator boots that were made for my feet. Sheer heaven.

Of course they cost as much as that darn Harmon pellet stove. More than my first new car.

BB and you had the visual of HB with the chaps and thong!!!!!!

Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black...Allen Edmonds matching logging attire!!!!

Vintage 181 said:
BrotherBart said:
There is nothing that feels as good as a custom made pair of boots. Any boots. I have a pair of custom made Allen Edmonds alligator boots that were made for my feet. Sheer heaven.

Of course they cost as much as that darn Harmon pellet stove. More than my first new car.

BB and you had the visual of HB with the chaps and thong!!!!!!

Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black...Allen Edmonds matching logging attire!!!!

We are in a very upscale neighborhood. You know. BMW chainsaws. Porsche log splitters. Celebrate successfully falling a tree with an unpretentious little Chardonnay.

HarryBack said:
ok guys....whats been your luck with steel-toed work boots? Mine fall apart after 6 months. ot the soles crack and admit water and sand....anyone found one that really holds up?
Did you ever mention what brand boots you have that crap out in 6 months ? other brands you have used ? What dollar amount have you been spending per boots ?

usually spend around $100-$130......Ive used Redwings, Pro, Timberland, Rocky to name a few......
Any of you Matterhorn or Wesco guys got any experience with getting your boots and they feel bad or dont fit? WHat happens then?

HarryBack said:
usually spend around $100-$130......Ive used Redwings, Pro, Timberland, Rocky to name a few......
Any of you Matterhorn or Wesco guys got any experience with getting your boots and they feel bad or dont fit? WHat happens then?

I don't know where you are in MA but these folks in Warwick, Rhode Island claim to be the only New England store that sells Wesco boots and they claim that they discount them 10 to 15%. Who knows, maybe they need some pellets, or some lumber or ...

http://hometown.aol.com/aesre/myhomepage/business.html

HB I go factory direct for my Wescos, if there is something wrong with them when I get them I send them back and they take care of the problem.
I have had great luck with them.

Spent $60 for craftsman boots.. Front stitching started unraveling within 2 weeks. I brought them back got a new pair two.weeks later the same thing. I still have them. I wear them occasionaly both steel toes fully exposed. Someone mentioned Cat boots any luck with them? Redwings? I have had luck with Hermans but do not wear the same boots everyday. I do not want insulated boots got two new pairs. I want 6" steel toe comfortable lasting work boots

HB

I have been looking also...just got off the phone with Hoffman out in Idaho..They make their own boots and carry Wesco's, danner also...The woman I got on the phone knows boots very well....Asked her what the difference between redwings, Chippewa, Wesco's and theirs... Hoffman sizing is on par with Redwing...Full refund or exchange if does not fit, can't have been worn outside though. They had some good deals in the closeouts if size is right..

http://www.hoffmanboots.com/index.html

I got a catalog coming

thanks, Vintage.....Ill give them a call. I can tell if they dont fit right as soon as I get them on....I wouldnt wear them outside without a good fit. Also looking into the Matterhorns, but Id feel like the Terminator going into someones place with those things! wow! An articulated steel toe?! Holy cow!

WALMART- $50 -- Wolverine steel toe waterproof-- Yes, they only last 6 months, but doing service plumbing and drain cleaning, th DOO-DOO Factor makes me want them NOT to last 6 months--

I have since changed jobs- MUCH cleaner, that new work is..

Will probably be looking at Redwings this fall..

HarryBack said:
thanks, Vintage.....Ill give them a call. I can tell if they dont fit right as soon as I get them on....I wouldnt wear them outside without a good fit. Also looking into the Matterhorns, but Id feel like the Terminator going into someones place with those things! wow! An articulated steel toe?! Holy cow!

Matterhorn Customer Service "the problem solvers" If they saw you with those after they had called in about something.... no Mr. Matterhorn our stove is running beautifully...Would you like iced tea or coffee!!!

Received my Wesco boots about two weeks ago, The quality of the boot is first class..never had a boot fit like this...Worked in the woods on Saturday....Followed Earthharvester advice about wearing them the first couple times...Was reading their info and they made the boots for Arnie in Terminator...Hell of a pair of boots

Vintage 181 said:
Received my Wesco boots about two weeks ago, The quality of the boot is first class..never had a boot fit like this...Worked in the woods on Saturday....Followed Earthharvester advice about wearing them the first couple times...Was reading their info and they made the boots for Arnie in Terminator...Hell of a pair of boots
Yep , Its not just more $$ ........ you can see and feel the real quality of the better boots. Ya just wouldnt know it until one get a pair . Congrads . " Now get back to work !"

Red Wings

Wear mine EVERY day
Hardly take care of them
I weigh near 300 and get 24 months out of them easy
Maybe I should put the Sno-seal on them too

My steel toes at work ar Worx. They cost $120 about 6 years ago and still are OK. I wear them little so they last.

I have used them for chain sawing and they work well. I normally use non steel toe boots. I have Meindl Perfects. These are boots for scaling glaciers in Nepal. Excellent fit and grip. Love them. Warm too. Vibram bottoms.

Carpniels

This line is getting pretty long, but I've had great luck with Cabela's (Danner) boots. I have 2 pair that I rotate. I'm working on 6 years on one, 5 on the other. Resole them every two years for $50 and I have a brand new pair of boots. I also have one of the older PEET boot dryers. I bought it somewhere around 1985 and use it every day, 10 months a year!!! I use it on running shoes, dress shoes and yup, even boots. I bring it on vacation with me! There is nothing like a dry, warm pair of boots in January.

Georgia makes a decent boot. I just got through a pair, the seems ripped out on the outside of both shoes, so I stitched them back together with a leather awl, not more than 2 days later the top of the toe split open and the steel toe fell out. Oh well. I had been doing a lot of work kneeling down on concrete to the leather had worn off of the toes exposing the steel toe. Regardless, the Georgia boots held up for a year and a half of non-stop work. I will say, they are by far the most comfortable boot right out of the gate, almost no break-in time needed.

For longevity, can't beat my Redwings, had them for 6 years, and wore them 2 years straight everyday, off and on since then. They've been through hell and back and still are okay to wear. Real hard sole though which aggrevates my back some.

I understand Danner makes a fine boot too.

-Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.