Work Done Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I started in the bowl on the two maples (one topped off & the second a leaner) after getting those done I made a run over to the cherry leaner,the top of the cherry was wedged in the top of the maple before cutting so we pulled it out, attached are some pictures.

Looks like Sunday will be spent splitting and stacking todays haul.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4133-1.jpg
    100_4133-1.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 279
  • 100_4135-1.jpg
    100_4135-1.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 305
  • 100_4150-1.jpg
    100_4150-1.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 314
  • 100_4152-1.jpg
    100_4152-1.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 336
  • 100_4153-1.jpg
    100_4153-1.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 316
  • 100_4154-1.jpg
    100_4154-1.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 318
  • 100_4155-1.jpg
    100_4155-1.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 303
Nice Zap.

You burning yet?

We lit up tonight just to take off the chill.

maxed_out said:
Nice Zap.

You burning yet?

We lit up tonight just to take off the chill.

maxed_out, we have been burning quaking aspen for about three weeks. Two small fires does the trick, looks like we might have enough quaking aspen to get us to the beginning of second week of November then it's in to the Cherry.

zap

Looks like a nice way to spend the day Zap. Do you hook the strap up to a winch or do you have enough traction to just pull it?

SolarAndWood said:
Looks like a nice way to spend the day Zap. Do you hook the strap up to a winch or do you have enough traction to just pull it?

Today I looped the strap around the 2 inch ball then yanked it out, plenty of traction for that.

zap

Man Zap, that is some nice looking stuff. I seldom get to cut anything that straight and tall. That is why I finally had to buy a log splitter. I just couldn't split the limby, knotty stuff by hand any more. I bet all that stuff split easy.

tfdchief, I seldom cut anything standing :vampire: so it's sort of nice that I'm cutting leaners & topped off. This should split nice and burn even better. Looks like I have about four or five more cherry in that general area that need some attention, hopefully next week.

zap

Pic 4135 (top right), very nice straight tree. A fun one to buck & split. Gonna make real nice spits.
Did you say it was a maple? Would make some nice lumber :)

bogydave said:
Pic 4135 (top right), very nice straight tree. A fun one to buck & split. Gonna make real nice spits.
Did you say it was a maple? Would make some nice lumber :)

Bogydave, I was thinking the same but when I dropped it you could hear a pop when it hit the ground, looks like this will be good shoulder season wood for next year. This picture is from about halfway down the tree.

I might have been able to get a three foot section out of the whole tree.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4137-1.jpg
    100_4137-1.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 214
Bummer.
Like you said, still OK for fire wood.
Like tfdchief (steve), I don't get many birch straight & tall, but when I do I alway thing of having a mill. But they split nice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.