Work for Friday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Friday I plan on getting this downed Cherry, should get some nice firewood from this. Seems like I miss this every year since it's been downed (two) so this is first on the list before the two downed Beech.

zap 100_4839.JPG100_4840.JPG

Reactions: tfdchief
We just dont get cherries that straight or tall around these parts.

That looks like a milling log on the lower end, Zap. Nice cherry, what's the diameter?

Oh man Zap! I could get a couple of really nice .32 cal. Pennsylvania style muzzle loading squirrel rifle stocks out of that log. Probably some real nice figure in and near the bend and knots. ;)

Reactions: ScotO
SO, I'll check the diameter when I get back in. Ralph, I'll see what the center looks like, most of the Cherry has rot in the middle. NSFD95, seems like we have our share of Cherry on our wood lot.

zap

Thats a nice one. Been burning the cherry for the last month now.

Thats a nice one. Been burning the cherry for the last month now.

What? You're still burning? I haven't had a fire for a month.

+1 on trying to mill up some of that cherry Zap.

What? You're still burning? I haven't had a fire for a month.

+1 on trying to mill up some of that cherry Zap.

Not everyday but its going now.(Started about 8:00 pm last night) New epa stove and we like it in the low 80's. (We is the gf) I wear shots and a t-shirt all winter.

It's still dropping down to the 20's & below at night so we are still burning Cherry that was planned for this year. Lukem, I'll see what it looks like and go from there.

zap

Reactions: smokinj
That looks like a milling log on the lower end, Zap. Nice cherry, what's the diameter?
Since I don't have a project lined up for the Cherry should I just mill it about 1 inch thick?

zap

If its dead and the little dry that'd probably be OK. But I like the gunstock idea, too. Maybe cut some at 2 3/4"for for gunstock blanks and put 'emit on Craigslist or fleabay .......make some gas money!

If its dead and the little dry that'd probably be OK. But I like the gunstock idea, too. Maybe cut some at 2 3/4"for for gunstock blanks and put 'emit on Craigslist or fleabay .......make some gas money!
How long do they need them?

zap

Oh man Zap! I could get a couple of really nice .32 cal. Pennsylvania style muzzle loading squirrel rifle stocks out of that log. Probably some real nice figure in and near the bend and knots. ;)
What size would you need them Ralph? I saw some that were 48 inches long,7.25 inches wide & 2.75 thick.

zap

zap, that's some good looking stuff. Looks like some nice young beech there too.

zap, that's some good looking stuff. Looks like some nice young beech there too.

Sav, the beech grows like a bad weed (not complaining) when I'm in there I'll thin some out so the bigger stuff will have a better chance of growing.

zap

SO, the diameter was just under 14 inches so I decided we had better cherry if we want to mill some so it became firewood. I took out two loads then filled the stack I started last weekend, we still have some left in the trailer, attached are some pictures.

In the second picture is a downed basswood which I rolled the cherry down the hill to, I then rolled the cherry to the area I split in.

I think Saturday will be spent splitting that cherry I bucked up in the winter.
zap

Attachments

• 100_4879.JPG
    100_4879.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_4880.JPG
    100_4880.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 100_4881.JPG
    100_4881.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 146
  • 100_4882.JPG
    100_4882.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 140
  • 100_4885.JPG
    100_4885.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 100_4886.JPG
    100_4886.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 134
  • 100_4888.JPG
    100_4888.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: smokinj
Zap,

Great pictures as usual. It's so cool to see how brush free your woods are, very jealous.

I'll have to send you a picture of our cherry, I would never recognize your tree as being cherry from looking at ours. I think the only thing they have in common is they are both great in the stove.

Thanks Loon, on Sunday I might grab the pole with some worms then go fish for some trout.

Skyline thanks, we burn 3 cord of Cherry per year all the wood is down or leaners. I would be interested tin seeing that pic when you get time.

zap

looks like another productive weekend at the Zap house. Whether you mill that cherry or not, I know it's not going to go to waste at your house!

Scotty Overkill, I should be done stacking in the area I'm working before the end of April (holds just over three cord). I was checking out the last area we were milling last year, I think on Sunday I'll take an older chain and throw it on the 310 then do some trail clearing so I can get to the Hemlock & Pine with the rhino.

Last year the last place we worked I walked all the equipment back in from the trail.::-)

zap

Looks like you had a good day Zap. I took the wife to the Grove City PA outlets today. Good time with my best friend. Tomorrow I'll hit it hard....Sugar maple and ash tops to cut while the wife bakes some pies for the Easter feast.

man how big is your property? LOL. sounds like you own everything north of Albany. lol. Good work Zap baby

Thanks Katwillny, compared to our neighbors we have a small woodlot, some of the surrounding lots are 400 acres.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.