Work Lamp for Fall Wood Processing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I was thinking of getting a work light for processing a log pile now that it's getting so dark after work.
I don't have one now, just some flourescent drop lights.
I plan to power it with my little 800 watt generator.
Maybe a dual 150 watt unit that can sit on the ground?
Tall stand? 500 watts?
Not sure.
Suggestions?

http://www.harborfreight.com/genera...ead-pivoting-work-light-with-stand-47410.html

image_1329.jpg

These work. They put out a fair amount of heat too which might be useful when it gets colder.

They put out a lot of light so overhead mounting can help a lot with glare issues.

You may not want them at ground level just to avoid fire issues. I believe the cover glass gets hot enough to start a fire should some errant wood contact it.

LED headlamp is the way to go. I split about 4 cord with one last fall. I was skeptical, but thought I'd give it a try...and it worked great. You only need light where you are looking, and the headlamp does a great job at that.

The bulbs in those lamps don't take a lot of shock abuse especially when they are hot. If you go that route, you will want extras on hand if you can't live with work stoppages.

I have one of those lights [literally - just one lamp] that I use to light up my backyard hockey rink in the winter. I put it up on the roof of the chicken coop [about nine feet off the ground] and it illuminates most of the rink, which is 35x50.

A dual set-up like that should work fine, though you might want to get the one that comes with the stand so you can elevate it a bit.

I have an old set from craftsman like that one side the glass is even busted out. Still have never replaced the bulbs yet. Knock on wood.

I use a LED Head Lamp and a single 500 Watt elevated work light like you shaow. It works well.

Enjoy,
Mike

Used my headlights last night. Used a headlamp a few nights ago. Theheadlamp was good but wanted more light around so i could see trip hazards. The headlight or any stationary light is going to give you shadows and glare. I cannot wait to finish my new wood splitting area so I can have some real lights installed and not worry about this crap anymore.

Thanks for the tips.

It's such a shame that the weather is perfect for cutting and splitting and it's just about dark after work.

Not bad - and fluorescent too...so no worrying about it catching stuff on fire...like when working on your car in the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.