Work Score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
We're doing some clearing at the office and I ahve permission to take what I can get out of here. There's enough here to cover all of next year's needs if I could move it out...no chance of that though and there are other guys here who want to ake a cut too.

Wish I had my saw with me today. I'm thinking to cut the logs into 8-9' lengths and fill my truck to capacity, buck it at home. Pile looks small, but those are all around a foot in diameter and the pile is a solid 30 feet long, more is hidden behind it.

There was a second pile when I left last ngiht, but its already vanished...someone is scarfing my heat!

Attachments

• logs.jpg
    logs.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 614
That pile is way bigger than I thought, there is alot more down the hill too, its about a 30' square of tree trunks. Lots of oak, some white birch and others that haven't identified but I think are mostly maple. Lots of straight stuff, easy splitting if I cna get it home.

Its killing me that I'll likely have to wait till Monday to get any into my truck.

mayhem said:
That pile is way bigger than I thought, there is alot more down the hill too, its about a 30' square of tree trunks. Lots of oak, some white birch and others that haven't identified but I think are mostly maple. Lots of straight stuff, easy splitting if I cna get it home.

Its killing me that I'll likely have to wait till Monday to get any into my truck.

Mayhem nice score, I hope it's still on the ground come Monday.

zap

You better pounce on that like a fat kid on a doughnut, or its gonna slip away. Looks like easy pickins and those don't usually last long.

If ya got time I would hook up the trailer and go get it this weekend. My brother gets a lot of used stuff from work. When the Boss gives him something he gets it out that day. Last fall a 28" silver maple came down at his work on a wensday and four guys were arguing about who would get it. It was still there monday and the Boss said first come first severed on it. My brother called me at lunch and I was there at 1:30 and by 3:00 it was blocked loaded and the branches all in one pile. Latter that day the Boss told him anytime there's wood he can have it.

Billy

Just going to have to get to it when I can. as much as I want to yank it all out of there immediately, I simply cannot do it. May not be able to get to it at all this weekend either unless the wife says go for it. If I had a heads up from here I would have brought my saw and borrowed a trailer today...oh well.

Remarkably, almost all of it is still there. I'd say someone has hauled off maybe a cord or so. I dug in at lunchtime on the far end of the pile and cut a bunch of roughly 3' logs, figuring I need to minimize the time spent doing this at work and just get it the heck out of here. About 30 minutes worth of work netted me a nice truckload of what I beleive is white oak, very heavy, rough bark, very stinky. Pic attached of the first load. I'll try to do one load like this per day so long as the weather and my saw co-operates. Not one stick will be good this year of course,m maybe not even next year...but free is free and I can drive right up to the pile, cut some logs and toss them in, all the branches are gone, trees are stacked neatly and there is zero dirt on them...doesn't get much easier.

This load represents about 2/3 of 1 tree. There are dozens and dozens. Probably 25-30 cords when its all split up, I'll never get close to all of it, but I'm sure as hell gonna try.

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 446
cancel that gym membership - you got your workouts planned for a while

Yeah, I should weigh one of those logs. I picked each one up from about knee height to get it on the tailgate. The ones beired towards the front of the truck must have been well over 100lb. Heavy suckers.

Hard to beleive Im still hauling this stuff outta here.

Load #8 yesterday. Been doing 3 loads a week like this. Just about run through all the 16"+ diameter stuff...my back is happy about that.

Probably another week left before its not worth going after any longer.

I'm tired, but happy.

Attachments

• wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 339
No can do. Couple of co-workers are harvesting too. Good way to make friends, we all go out about the same time and get to work. Each load takes me about a ahlf hour, maybe 40 minutes to buck, heave, load and stack in the truck.

That is a nice return on 40 mins of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.