1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Work with the new saw, wood ID

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Wood-row Wilson, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Wood-row Wilson

Wood-row Wilson Member

Loc:
    SW Michigan
    Picked up a new-to-me saw (http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/choose-me-a-saw.86327/page-2) on CL on Friday, was able to bust it out and buck up some rounds. It's believed Honey locust, but bring it to the professionals here.

Split quite easily, all pretty straight-grained, yellowish heart-wood with a ring of white around the outside (you can see the end of a small round on the right of the first picture). The trees had few branches which made for pretty easy splittin'! IMG_20120428_174300.jpg IMG_20120428_174255.jpg

Here's today's work. Quite marginal, but an addition nonetheless to the already split and 1 year c/s/s silver maple in following pictures. I'd estimate about a rick of work done here! IMG_20120428_174250.jpg

3/4 of the silver maple c/s/s over a sustained period last spring/summer. Should be well and dry by winter!

IMG_20120428_174240.jpg

Grandpa bucked all these round and the others in the post above. He's a bit of a "Rambo" with a chainsaw and doesn't care much about same-sized rounds. Here are the ones that will need to be trimmed down that wouldn't fit in the friend's stove after I offered him to use what he needed over the winter after losing his job (Another reason to stay ahead, right? :eek:)

IMG_20120428_174233.jpg
    zap and Backwoods Savage like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. chuckie5fingers

chuckie5fingers Member

Loc:
    60 S. of Chicago
    I would agree with your honey locust ID
    nice!!
    chuck
  3. The Beagler

The Beagler Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Northern Ky
    It's locust....black locust. Very nice!
    smokinj likes this.
  4. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky along the Ohio River
    Yep, Black Locust. Honey almost always has huge, mean, sharp spikes growing from the trunk. Both Bloack and Honey Locust season rather quickly, but maybe not quite ready for next winter, but with enough sun and wind maybe.
  5. Locust Post

Locust Post Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    Yes that is locust for sure. With that size splits it should be fine for this coming winter.
  6. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Looks like you've got a nice, open area there Wilson, maybe good sun and wind? I'm not sure if those splits are from live trees (kind of looks like they are, and the bark's not falling off.) But as pointed out, they're small splits, and all cross-stacked they might get enough air to be pretty decent by Winter.
    I'm getting to where I can tell by the heft if BL is getting pretty dry. It's all heavy but the wet stuff is really heavy. I've been getting a mix of down dead BL and some that hasn't been dead as long. Everything that's pretty dry is going on the pile for this Winter, the rest is getting stacked for later.
  7. Wood-row Wilson

Wood-row Wilson Member

Loc:
    SW Michigan
    Yes, it's very open where you see the pictures...full sun and full wind. I'm banking on the fact that they will be ready by this winter. And yes, the trees were just pushed down recently...I think cross-stacking all the silver was over kill, but think it will pay dividends for the locust if I want to burn it this winter.

Think I should single-row cross stack as I continue? I have the space, and the pallets, however, two cross-stacked rows help keep each other up better.
  8. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    All of that locust looks to me like Black Locust, not Honey Locust. You got the better locust! For me Honey Locust is prone to powder post beetles while Black Locust is not. Both are great to burn.
  9. woodking

woodking Member

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    Locust for sure. Great burning, I get it now and then,watch for ants tho!!!