1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Workin on the wood hauler

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Elderthewelder, Jul 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elderthewelder

Elderthewelder Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Everett, Washington
    Well I decided the old wood hauler needed some work if I wanted her to keep haulin, So I took off the old deck, cleaned up all the rust, corrosion that had accumulated over the years and applied POR15 rust preventative paint over entire surface
    http://www.por15.com/POR-15/productinfo/1GB/

A friend of mine hooked me up real cheap on some used TREX, not sure how it well hold up to the abbuse, but the price was right so i got it and screwed it in place with 182 self threading screws, ( required pilot drilling to 7/32" prior to installing)

Also put some new shoes on her, person I got it from had passenger car tires on it, Got some new 185R14 / "D" load rated tires installed all the way around, that is the stock tire/load range that came with these trucks

Here are some pics

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. lowroadacres

lowroadacres Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MB
    That looks like it would be both tough and economical to run.

Right now I am not hauling more than the half mile from a wood lot we have access to. At double the current rate of usage I will likely need to get a serious wood hauler by about 2032. Still doesn't stop me from wanting something better and bigger than I currently use.
  3. Elderthewelder

Loc:
    Everett, Washington
    I scrounge 100% of the wood I burn ( will sometimes I will buy some North Idaho Fire Logs) So I needed something like you said "tough and economical" and something that has a decent payload, this truck fits the bill pretty good.

So I got a reply from a C/L add I responded to about some wood, Guess there are 20 rounds of big leaf maple that I can park within 10 feet of that I can come get that is not to far from me, lady says some of them are pretty big. I said cool I will be right over, give me a address

Got the truck loaded up with all my gear and a cooler full of water, hopefully I will have if full of maple when I return
  4. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Looks great! That is one tuff not so little truck. I have to replace the decl om my wood hauler too.
  5. Elderthewelder

Loc:
    Everett, Washington
    So I get to the house with the maple that contacted me from C/lL and I find a pretty good size tree had been dropped , way more than the 20 rounds that I was told and around 30- 32" at the base

Lady asks is that too much for you? we had alot of responses to our C/L add, so if you do not want it all we can call the next guy. I said no that's fine I will take it all, just going to need to do multiple trips

So me and my 17 year old son ( with a arm in a cast) start loading it up, got 2 loads out today, will finish it up tomorrow after work, there a still 2 very large rounds there and a bunch of small stuff, one of the large rounds still has 2 of my wedges berried in it

any way here are pics of the 2 loads we took out, one of the pic is just a shot of my 2010/11 wood that I have stacked

Attached Files:

6. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Nice haul! Looks like you have some work to do now. That stuff looks like it will be tough going. It will give the Fiskars a chance to earn its keep.
  7. Elderthewelder

Loc:
    Everett, Washington
    Yeah, some of those rounds are pretty gnarly, not looking forward to splitting it that is for sure, but hey I could not pass it up, it's been pretty slim pickings on the wood scrounge scene in these parts for quite awhile

Lady I got this from said she had about 30 responses, and I was not the first, but I mentioned to her that I had a flatbed truck with a lift gate and a chainsaw, so she figured I could handle getting the wood out of her back yard. My truck just Beale fits through her gate to the back yard
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.