Working in the heat.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecocavalier02

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2008
ct
Well i started advertising via craigslist 3 weeks ago and ive sold just about 10 cords so far. Been splitting and loading the trailer in the brutal heat has been fun. I work as a sheetmetal tin knocker doing hvac so coming home from working in attics and working on the wood has made for some nice long days. but the hard work is finally paying off. As you can see the pile has been growing then shrinking then growing and so on. lol

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 428
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 417
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 403
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 418
Just plain f---ing grizzle, getting that money after all the hard work helps. Hows the little guy doing?

zap

Hopefully the sun has gone behind the trees by the time you get home from work and start splitting! :bug:

Great work, you're "gettin' 'er done!" You must be a young man; I would've been dead months ago!

Nice work Eco. Sounds like the dumper and splitter are already paid for.

Woody Stover said:
Hopefully the sun has gone behind the trees by the time you get home from work and start splitting! :bug:

Great work, you're "gettin' 'er done!" You must be a young man; I would've been dead months ago!
as u can see in the pic when I get home from work the sun is at its hottest point. Briefed no relief till 6 pm. So nope.nbut keeps ya strong and feeling good when u go to sleep at night.

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown

I think a day of splitting wood outside on a hot day is better than a day of easy work inside a cool office building. Wouldn't most agree?

blowell said:

I think a day of splitting wood outside on a hot day is better than a day of easy work inside a cool office building. Wouldn't most agree?

No arguement from me....

SolarAndWood said:
Nice work Eco. Sounds like the dumper and splitter are already paid for.
Yes sir

blowell said:

Sounds like an episode of Twilight Zone. I hate to sweat. Back when I worked outdoors, if my bank account allowed it, I would turn down Summer work and work in the Winter instead.

These days, if I have to work in the heat, I put up a portable shade canopy.

I take my wood delivery in Winter and buck it up right away.
100_0321.JPG

Sounds like an episode of Twilight Zone. I hate to sweat. Back when I worked outdoors, if my bank account allowed it, I would turn down Summer work and work in the Winter instead.

These days, if I have to work in the heat, I put up a portable shade canopy.

I take my wood delivery in Winter and buck it up right away.

I hate the humidity, I really do, but I do my splitting during "non-winter" seasons, but mostly summer and fall. Spring is like "tick central" where I live. The location of my work area is tough to get to after the first snow. I could shovel it all out (or make my son do it), but I have no snowblower access to the area.

Oh yeah, and this is the key, I HATE office work.

Throw a wet kitchen towel over your head, reapply as needed if the money right! ;-)

Good work eco. I'd enjoy sitting in the shade holding a cold beer while watching you sweat like that. ;-)

Backwoods Savage said:
I'd enjoy sitting in the shade holding a cold beer while watching you sweat like that. ;-)
That's the only time I sit but I prefer to drink the cold beer rather than hold it. It will get warm in your hand.

As for shade, I take it with me when splitting.
100_0331.JPG

Well, I used to, but now I spend more time holding the beer than drinking it. One beer usually suits me just fine. Actually, I'd rather have something like a coke.

LLigetfa said:
Backwoods Savage said:
I'd enjoy sitting in the shade holding a cold beer while watching you sweat like that. ;-)
That's the only time I sit but I prefer to drink the cold beer rather than hold it. It will get warm in your hand.

100_0331.JPG

Is that a mini keg on the other side?

Attachments

• wood hauler.jpg
    wood hauler.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 287
LLigetfa said:
Wow! He bucks in a tee shirt and splits in the shade, doing both when there's snow on the ground! He's as adapted to cold as I am to heat! :)

i really do hate the humidity as well. but what can you do, just have to deal with it i guess.]. i just smile everday closer to fall and winter. i know what its like to be outside on one those high 30 or 40 degree days with a t shirt on. hand splittiing or moving logs around makes you start to sweat with a sweatshirt on.

LLigetfa said:
Backwoods Savage said:

100_0331.JPG
thats pretty sweet. i may have to think about that for next year. i think neighbors would get a kick out of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.