Working in the woods in winter....(CAUTION: This post contains another self-portrait!)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
It was a great day to be outside in the woods! Getting ready to cut a tree:
IMG_0170%20(600x800).jpg

The tree down and all cut up.
IMG_0171%20(600x800).jpg

Vrooooom! Vrooooom!
IMG_0173%20(800x600).jpg

Gotta eat food with a lot of animal blood in it to split with that baby in the winter! :)
IMG_0176%20(600x800).jpg

That one little tree wouldn't have even filled my trailer, but it was two loads in the old sled.
IMG_0177%20(800x600).jpg

Hauling the second load up.
IMG_0186%20(800x600).jpg

There isn't much that makes me feel better than the sight of a nice row of firewood, covered in snow, surrounded by trees, with a beautiful blue sky in the background.
IMG_0188%20(800x600).jpg

Even the sight of this snow-covered brush made me smile contentedly. Never mind that just a little while before some similar Hazel brush smacked me so hard in the face that it made my lip bleed. Not a big deal for me. When you cut wood in the raspberries and brush, something always ends up bleeding almost daily. I actually look fondly at all my scars, like they were battle wounds!
IMG_0190%20(800x600).jpg

Mmmmmmmm.
IMG_0193%20(800x600).jpg

Another self-portrait!
IMG_0194%20(600x800).jpg

Looks like sasquatch (sp?)

Sweet Quads! Nice new handle, but lacking the Fiskars logo - you need to get that new handle taken care of! Cheers!

Tim, "Wilson, Wilson! Are you there?"

Mr. Wilson, "Well, hi de ho, neighbor!"

Tim, "Nice seeing you out in the woods. Got some yummy looks stacks there, Wilson."

Mr. Wilson, "Well, Tim, thank you right kindly for that compliment!"

:)

Hows that hooked handle treating ya quads? It is actually my preferred style. (well, back when I actually had to swing one).

Nice looking Red/Black Oak there.Gonna drop meself a couple more of 'em tommorow morning.

When did you graduate to a curved handle? How do you like it compared to a straight handle?

Looking good quads. Looks like the snow has settled a bit too and you are probably thankful for that.

Your comment about the raspberry bushes and wounds sounds familiar. I got slapped in the face with a prickly ash today. Dang that hurts, especially when your face is cold. Yes, I cut it after it wounded me. Serves it right.

Quads -

What time, precisely (hour, minute, second, 10ths of second, 100th of seconds, 1,000 of seconds), was the picture taken? What degree angle where your facing (degree, minutes, second, 10ths of second, 100th of seconds, 1,000 of seconds)?

I might be able to get your height, +/- 14.75", from the sun angle there ;-)

Looks like you had another great day out there!

gzecc, more than just the shadow looks like Sasquatch!

NH_Wood, I didn't put Fiskars (my last name) on the handle because I wasn't sure if I would like it and I didn't want to waste the stickers if I was going to cut it off right away. But, turns out I like it pretty good. My only problem now is that I think it looks kind of sexy without any old orange stickers on it! HA! We'll see, maybe after it's beat up a little bit.

Shari, Tooltime used to be one of my favorite shows!

Jags, I like the handle. I'm not sure I really notice much difference over the straight handle. Too close to call. Looks cool though.

PapaDave, no coffee for me! Can't even stand the smell of the stuff. Hot chocolate on the other hand.....

Thistle, yup, a little black oak. There were a couple dead white oak right in the area there that I might drop tomorrow. Those dead trees right next to it are jackpine, which I will be leaving for the woodpeckers.

LLigetfa, I put that on about a week ago. My old straight 25+ year old fiberglass handle was finally on it's last legs so I thought I would try a wooden handle. This one (curved) is all that the farm store had. I can't say that I really notice a lot of difference, but so far I like the handle just as good as the old one. We'll see how long it lasts. It came with a big wooden wedge and a small metal wedge. I put the wooden wedge in, then pounded the metal wedge in crosswise. The handle then loosened up just a little, so I dug around in my junk boxes and found another metal wedge that I also pounded in crosswise. It still didn't seem quite as tight as I thought it should be, so I pounded another in! Now it stays put with three metal wedges!

Dennis, there is about 12 inches out there, but seems like more in the brush. And you're darn right I get back at that brush that wounds me! Cut it right off or grab it and pull it out! HAHA!

PJF1313 said:
Quads -

What time, precisely (hour, minute, second, 10ths of second, 100th of seconds, 1,000 of seconds), was the picture taken? What degree angle where your facing (degree, minutes, second, 10ths of second, 100th of seconds, 1,000 of seconds)?

Ha, well, I can get you this close from the EXIF info: 12/17/2010 12:29pm!

quads said:
PJF1313 said:
Quads -

Ha, well, I can get you this close from the EXIF info: 12/17/2010 12:29pm!

Need.... More.... Data..... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.