Working with Someone Else -- Safety Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
My neighbor had not quite finished felling a large tree, and his saw stopped and wouldn't start. It actually was a thirty-foot "stump" that was sticking up at a 45 degree angle. The whole tree had fallen, and when a cut was made, this "stump" popped up into the air. The base of the tree was about 24 inches in diameter.

Anyway, I get there, and this situation was really a bit beyond our capability and our saws' capabilities (we both have 18 inch bars). The neighbor had made the cut up high, where the base was narrower. He hadn't cut a wedge out on the side to which it was leaning, so it wasn't easy to cut without the saw getting stuck.

I really wanted to say "this just isn't safe -- there's no way with our equipment to finish the cut safely."

But I couldn't really say that without making my friend feel stupid; we would have had to leave this thing hanging, or call in some pros. So I took it slowly, considered each step, bent a few of my safety rules, and we got it down. The two rules I bent were 1. not cutting something wider than my bar and 2. not using the saw a shoulder height. I was extra careful.

The neighbor is a great guy, good with mechanical things, but ignorant about chainsaw safety.

Probably the wrong decision, but things turned out OK. I don't want to get in a situation like that again.

I was snowshoeing in the woods today and saw all kinds of tress in all kinds of leaning states....and I had the same thoughts. I'm gonna stick to the easy jobs from now on. I've already proven myself in my younger days, and I am not ready to get seriously wounded being a lumberjack.

Been there done that sometimes one head is better then two . Yea you ll be the J Off . But you will be alive
so will he lol .And he wont know the difference . Yep I m an aries . Sheeple are just waiting for us to lead them LOL.
Had some issues years fishing with a guy 52 miles offshore he knew it all .

Glad to see things worked out.

I can't speak for what you did right or wrong. I do think what you did right was So I took it slowly, considered each step, bent a few of my safety rules, and we got it down. That is the key. I think we have all bent or broken the "rules" at some point.

I have a good friend of mine who is an arborist. We discuss scenario and he give some very valuable lessons. I go to his job site at times and watch him work. Its amazing how much one can learn from watching someone do it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.