Workspace near shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Beside my shed is a ~10 ft square area that is just begging to be used. I'll need to fill it so it's flat. Right now it's anything but flat.

I was thinking of making a splitting station. If you had an area like this, would you put some sort of paver down or leave it dirt?

Matt

you'll just bust up pavers
gar on teed
and shirley it's bigger than 10 square feet.

Give a pic, or a few, Matt.

I'm sure you have the camera handy :)

I left a 6'x8' corner of my shed under roof but without floor. I can split by hand in there, load wood, even pull my splitter in if I want to, and work out of the weather. I left the floor dirt, and it's covered by bark/splitting trash/wood debris. Works for me. Rick

Attachments

• niteshed.jpg
    niteshed.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 370
billb3 said:
and shirley it's bigger than 10 square feet.
I think Shirley meant 10'x10'.

Fill it with bark and wood chips.

fossil said:
I left a 6'x8' corner of my shed under roof but without floor. I can split by hand in there, load wood, even pull my splitter in if I want to, and work out of the weather. I left the floor dirt, and it's covered by bark/splitting trash/wood debris. Works for me. Rick

Just have to say Rick that I still think your shed is one of the top three I've seen posted here . . . heck, I might even say it's the best looking shed period.

Just used for splitting . . . gravel and whatever scraps of bark/woodchips fall to soften any missed blows.

Don't pave - leave it dirt, and keep a rake and shovel nearby to clean up.

As others have said, splitting trash makes a nice base to work on. Especially the bark. Gives a buffer when its wet. Now, that may not be the most clean looking approach. Kind of depends on location too

Carpet it and make it large enough for the wife for splitting.

You're going to have some glancing blows with your maul that hit the ground, and with pavers you'll either break a paver or damage your maul. I'd keep it soft on the ground. After a couple of cords, you'll have lots of bark and wood chips to control the mud. I never split wood over a hard surface because something is gonna get broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.